Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

deleted userinit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 carissasophia

carissasophia

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:02 PM

Googling for solutions to a problem a computer at work is having I found this string and decided this is probably the solution to the problem we're having too. With the attitude that "I probably can't make it worse than it already is" I followed the directions for the AutoRun step and without knowing for sure what I was doing... I chose to delete this file with AutoRun: C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe

Obviously I don't have a clue... so I was just writing to see if there is anyway I can redeem myself? The computer won't login now...

I can access the C drive through the network but have limited access because I'm not the administrator.

I have tried starting in safe mode and tried rebooting with the last known good configuration this did nothing.

Any advice you can offer would be great.
Thank you,
Carissa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:11 AM

You need to run the system restore to the point of when you changed that file. If you can do a "Run" command, type this into it:

c:\windows\system\restore\rstrui.exe

This way you can see if it can restore that file and settings automatically.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:28 AM

since yu have access to the C drive, try copying userinit.exe from a working computer onto the not working one. if not, you could always try a repair install

#4 carissasophia

carissasophia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

You need to run the system restore to the point of when you changed that file. If you can do a "Run" command, type this into it:

c:\windows\system\restore\rstrui.exe

This way you can see if it can restore that file and settings automatically.

That's another problem this computer was having. I wasn't able to do a sys restore before I deleted the login file.

since yu have access to the C drive, try copying userinit.exe from a working computer onto the not working one. if not, you could always try a repair install

userinit.exe can be anywhere in the C drive? I can't access the Windows folder because I'm not admin, but I will try plopping that file in the C drive the next time I have a chance (probably after 5pm cst).
Thank you both! :thumbsup:

Carissa

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

Just to clarify: Userinit.exe should be in the Windows\System32 folder.

I'm assuming that you can slave your system drive to another known good, protected system. In that case, you can try accessing the userinit.exe file/System32 folder...by taking ownership of the folder from the known good.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users