Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Impulse187

Impulse187

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:10 PM

I have a Samsung hd160jj/p and it is setup for SATA in which windows does not detect when I need to format it. Do you know where I could get the drivers for it or how to find a way to get windows to recognize this drive so I can reinstall windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:12 AM

Usually you can go into your BIOS and set the harddrive to be in IDE mode. Which will allow your PC to detect it upon install. After you get done installing windows, switch it back to original settings.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Impulse187

Impulse187
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

I can't fix my problem through the bios I need a driver that will recognize my harddrive in the windows install. Apparently my HD doesn't have drivers but I have been researching and it has been telling me I need a driver for my motherboard or something. I can't figure out what my motherboard is I think it is a NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller. I used Belarc Advisor but I don't know what to look for. I used a program called nlite to try to install the drivers to the cd without having to hit F6 in the install process because I do not have a floppy drive but failed because I didn't have the right driver. I'm confused and I think I wore out all my options. I attached a Belarc Advisor Profile of my computer to this post. If anyone can figure out what driver I need to download to get windows to detect my harddrive I would REALLY be appreciative.

Edited by Impulse187, 30 March 2009 - 05:13 AM.

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

Look for the model number on your motherboard. Usually it is inbetween a PCI slot or close to the memory banks. Should be in big letters. But what you need is the SATA Controller Driver. Most times you will need a floppy drive in order to load the driver up, or you can "Slipstream" your own XP install disk and load the driver to that CD, this way you wont need a floppy drive or anything to run the setup, or obtain the drivers whenever you need to format. Vista has most drivers for sata controllers built in.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:56 PM

Related situation...I suspect that the suggestion to get the recovery CDs...is what I would suggest.

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t52609.html

Any drivers that you think of installing...ought to come from the Dell website., http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&a...se&~ck=anav

Louis

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

By attaching the Belarc report, you just made your CD keys and serial numbers public :thumbsup:

By the way, try downloading Hard disk drivers from here:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download...p;menu=download

#7 Impulse187

Impulse187
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:11 AM

Doh didn't realize that the report included that but thank you all very much for the suggestions I'm checking them all out right now (god I hope ppl that viewed this forum are not malicious about the report I posted) :thumbsup:

Edited by Impulse187, 30 March 2009 - 05:24 AM.

#8 Impulse187

Impulse187
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:01 AM

So I got this Bootable CD with EStool on it and it can detect and format my drive for me BUT I'm scared that if it formats it and then I go to reinstall windows I will still have the same problem with it not detecting my HD so I would be stuck with a computer with nothing on it and no way to install the OS. gah I'm not smart enough for this crap to happen to me I wish it would just function normally.... :thumbsup: (update on the "Slipstreaming..." I burned about 3 other windows CD's with different drivers but none of them causes windows to detect my HD yet")

Edited by Impulse187, 30 March 2009 - 07:14 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:46 AM

Among those drivers you tried...were any for your system...and downloaded from the Dell site?

Maybe I'm not clear enough...but Dell is responsible for providing driver support for the systems they sell. You may find drivers somewhere else that will work...but that's going home the long way.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users