Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop needs USB floppy drive to reinstall Win XP, can I use flash drive/memory instead?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:58 PM

After being attacked by several Trojans a couple of nights ago (which I mentioned in another thread), my security and personal information may be compromised as I speak, and it looks likely that I'll have format and re-install Windows XP on my laptop for the first time. This is my first time doing so for this CLEVO D900T, which is from circa-2005 and a hand-me-down from a family member. The thing is, I'm reading in this laptop's manual that in order to re-install WIndows XP, I'll be needing a USB floppy disk drive to install what appears to the drivers for the laptop's SATA drive. Thing is, I wasn't given a USB floppy drive by my family member, thus I don't have one. I was wondering, could I instead use a flash drive or flash memory (i.e microSD card) via the laptop's card reader to load the drivers? I'm not sure if in this case it'd be best if I just re-install or format and re-install.

Also, I'm trying to make it easier for me to get my laptop back to the way it is when and if I re-install. Is there any way I can get a list of all of the programs I have installed on my PC right now, or possibly carry over all of my programs and settings for the next install? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:21 AM

Well, you are going to have problems... Sorry to say...

First off, most PCs with SATA drives will have an option in the BIOS to place it in IDE mode. This assures that Windows Setup will be able to detect it as a drive with the ability to be installed to.

As for USB drives, it all depends on your BIOS version and manufacturer. Toshiba for example, does not support ANY usb device unless it is made by their company. It sucks, yes, but i guess for more money for crappy products.

You can install the drivers to a flash drive, but you will also have to make a bootable image to that drive, and load your windows setup files, manually format and partition the drive, copy the files over, then start the setup process to do that. It is a huge hassle that I had to deal with on a Toshiba Portege 3500.

Backing up is a bit easier. You can use the built in windows backup software (Start>All Programs>Accessories>System tools> Backup) and make a complete backup to an external drive to restore after format. The problem is YOU WILL ALSO TRANSFER THE VIRUSES YOU HAVE!!!

If you use the file and settings transfer wizard, you can transfer most of your stuff, but you WILL HAVE TO REINSTALL A LOT OF YOUR SOFTWARE, as it will not transfer your registry entries.

Your best bet is to get an Antivirus/spyware removal tool (Such as www.superantispyware.com) and an anti MAlware software (such as Malwayebytes). This will clear most of your infections, and gives you more time to backup your files and get software discs ready.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:56 AM

Well, the USB drive is only needed to load the SCSI/RAID drivers, afterwards I can proceed to re-install Windows as I've always done in other PC's: through the supplied CD-ROM.

My BIOS manufacturer is Pheonix if that's of any help. The mode options for my SATA drive are either RAID or ATA.

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:58 AM

You can try to set the boot priority to allow USB devices to boot before anything else. See if this allows windows setup to recognize it before the CD boots.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:42 PM

I've also been suggested elsewhere to create a "slipstream" CD with XP SP3 in it along with all of my laptop component drivers, and that SP3 contains a generic HDD driver as well. Do you think this will work???

#6 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

Should work just fine to slipstream it. You will need an image file of the xp disc, which as long as you have one you should be able to do it.

Gavin Seabrook

#7 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:17 AM

Okay. Can anyone link me to a guide which can show me how to slipstream SATA drivers and/or XP SP3?

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:33 AM

This link provides you with all the information you need.
I did it myself some time ago and it works just fine.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users