Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to extend partition?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alexeix

alexeix

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:59 PM

Hi,

I have a 500GB hard disk in my PC, but only one partition of around 40GB size. The rest of the disc is unformatted.

I extended the partition, when I started running out of space for the media center features of Vista, but found that I couldn't record - I <think> this is because I had extended the partition, but into disk space which was unformatted. Does that sound right?

I assumed that when extending the partition, the added space would be formatted at the same time, but it seems not.

I subsequently shrunk the partition back to the original size.

So, can anyone give me step-by-step advice on how to extend my partition and end up with usable space?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 K-Pock

K-Pock

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:11 PM

What I've always done with partitioning is download the GParted Live CD here. You can also get one to boot from USB, I've just always used the CD. Anyway, just boot up from that, and you should be able to extend, format, split, and manage your partitions just about any way you want!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users