Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just left HJT forum but with new issues

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 aland08

aland08

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

Hi,

I just spent the day in the HJT forum. I seem to be clean for which I am grateful. However, my gratitude is muffled by the fact that I now have other issues caused by the work performed in that forum. I only wanted my guide, ExtremeBoy, to help fix the seemingly minor issues that were caused by cleaning the system. He closed the topic on me & suggested I go to another forum. Here are my new issues:

1- One of the tools has my clock running on army time and I am not sure how to get it back
2- My printer will not print as I get Spooler Subsystem Application window appearing telling me that Spooler Subsystem Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. I am unable to access my printer. This has never happened and only began during the repairs.
3- I have no Java Apps. I don't understand Java but I know that EB had me delete my existing so that I could update to a newer version but now when I try to update, I get this message:

"warning:failed to verify the authenticity of this certificate because there was an error parsing the certificate. No assertions can be made of the origin or validity of the code.

Installing and running this code is not allowed."

4- I was told I was free of all tools, etc. used to clean my machine but in only looking for 3 minutes, I already found some folders that were created today. I would just like to be sure that I am free of any extra baggage that was used to clean my system.

Forgive me, as I do appreciate the help but I too have a FREE web site where I supply others with help, so I can relate and I have been very patient because I realize that this is a free help site so what right do I have to complain. But... when my computer is actually not functioning properly as a result of tasks performed per the direction of this forums staff, be it volunteer or not, I believe that I have a right to ask for help getting it to function normally again. EB would not help me fix what became damaged during his cleaning process. I asked nicely more than once so I hope after trying to resolve my issues here for almost 2 weeks that someone else will come to the rescue. Maybe Chewy or QM7 will come to the rescue :thumbsup:

Thanks for listening.

Alan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

The damage done by any form of malware...cannot necessarily be undone by simply removing the files which do not belong in the system. This seems to be a very popular misconception on the part of users who routinely get infections and seem to think that eliminating the effects of malware...is akin to washing one's hands.

Files may be altered/damaged both by malware and by the process of removing the malware from the system. The fact is...files get damaged in many systems, without the stimulus provided by malware items. The number of "cures" for dealing with (replacing) damaged system files are rather limited.

IMO (and I'm certainly no expert at anything), the smart thing to do by someone with such a system...would be to attempt a repair install of XP and hope for the best. If that doesn't reset the system to reasonable workable condition...then I suggest being prepared to do a clean install of XP.

One other alternative would be to run sfc /scannow.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

The procedures I reference above do not apply at all to users who have systems which depend upon restore/recovery CDs partitions for a reinstall of XP. The above procedures/alternatives depend upon the user have a Microsoft XP install CD.

<>

Hmmm...that means that at least one person spent two weeks of volunteered time on your system, trying to help you to help yourself.

And you seem to feel like you've somehow been shortchanged...because "the magicians" weren't able to bring your system back to life in a totally healed condition.

Oh...

Louis

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

I seem to remember 2 computers, which one is this?

What were all the extra drive letters in your logs in the HJT forum, which software was responsible?

I thought you had had enough problems with CA and hips?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 aland08

aland08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

Chewy,

You don't know how happy I am to see you! :thumbsup:

This is the main machine, the one on which I didn't even know I had an infection until you called it...remember? I had those double critical stop sounds and you had me check the Scheduler, where I found what you suggested were Vundo. You were right! You were not too involved with that machine until the end. Not really sure there was any infection remaining but just left over files from what once was an infection. That's what I understood. I am not sure what extra drive letters you mean and I did get rid of CA on the old machine that you had me set up with your power setup but I still have it on my newer machine. But it's going there too...it still doesn't function properly.

OK...so...help! Did you see what my existing problems are as listed in the first post above? I may have fixed the spooler issue. I deleted & reinstalled my HP Laser Jet & all has been well at least for the past hour. The printer works, lets put it that way. THANKS CHEWY!

Alan

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:56 PM

I just skimmed over the HJT thread but noticed a log or two with D, E, F, G?

No media or not present?

Elaborate
Chewy

#6 aland08

aland08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:59 PM

Not sure but I think you mean other drives that are available but used???? I'm not sure Chewy....I can't say that I understand everything about those logs. I was told that I am clean though.

Alan

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:22 PM

Drive C: | 149.04 Gb Total Space | 139.42 Gb Free Space | 93.55% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
D: Drive not present or media not loaded
E: Drive not present or media not loaded
F: Drive not present or media not loaded
G: Drive not present or media not loaded
H: Drive not present or media not loaded
I: Drive not present or media not loaded

Are some of these virtual drives, mounted images?

If so, what software produced them?
Chewy

#8 aland08

aland08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:27 PM

I can tell you that the D IS MY CD/DVD & the I is available when I backup to a USB flash drive..does that helpP?

I am trying to add the Java stuff but am confused , so I'll wait :thumbsup:

Alan

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

Do you have a card reader? Memory cards?
Chewy

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:34 PM

Go ahead with java, just disable that durn hips/CA first
Chewy

#11 aland08

aland08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:39 PM

Since I don't know what a card reader or memory cards are, I cannot answer that question :thumbsup:

Can you guide me through the Java stuff? I am on my other machine. EB had me remove the existing Java program & then told me to go the the Sun site and download a particular version & that it was an exe, file. I couldn't do it earlier as the error message in the above post suggests. But now I think I can but the file that I was told to download is a jnlp ???? And, I don't know what to do with it. Can we start from the beginning?

Alan

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:44 PM

I can help you with the Java and the Time...

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Look for "Java Runtime Environment (JRE)" JRE 6 Update 13.
  • Click the Download button to the right.
  • Select your Platform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "Multi-language".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Under Required Files, check the box for Windows Offline Installation, click the link below it and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button and follow the onscreen instructions for the Java uninstaller.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u13-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
-- If using Windows Vista and the installer refuses to launch due to insufficient user permissions, then Run As Administrator.
-- If you choose to update via the Java applet in Control Panel, uncheck the option to install the Toolbar unless you want it.
-- The uninstaller incorporated in this release removes previous Updates 10 and above, but does not remove older versions, so they still need to be removed manually.

Note: The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications. To disable the JQS service if you don't want to use it, go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter. Click Ok and reboot your computer.

To fix the clock display:

Go toStart >> Control Panel.
Select Regional and Language Options.
In the Standards and Formats section... next to the language you are using... click the Customize...button
Press the Time...tab.
In the Time Format...box, for 12 hour time display... change the format to:

h mm ss tt
or
hh mm ss tt

Select the other display options you want... separator, AM, PM...
When done...click Apply and OK as needed.

Edited by boopme, 28 March 2009 - 11:46 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 aland08

aland08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:47 PM

Hi boop,

That last part about the JQS.exe..that's new. So should I do something with that 1st because I do not know what to do after I download the jnlp file. It opens and then there are not really any other directions.

Alan

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:49 PM

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Windows XP/Vista/2000/2003/2008 Offline
filesize: 15.53 MB

Just download it, disable your CA and close your browser

jre-6u13-windows-i586-p-s.exe
Chewy

#15 aland08

aland08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:53 PM

LOL LOL

Give me a minute Chewy....and thanks boop for the clock fix. I never knew that.

Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users