Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seperating 2 merged hardrives?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Capt.Rhodes

Capt.Rhodes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

Hello

My problem is when i last reformatted my PC i accidentally merged 2 hardrives into 1 with no partitions.Well now its come round to that reformatting time again and i was wondering if someone could please tell me how to separate it back to 2 hardrives, and perhaps tell me the best way to partition ones drives as Ive never really done it before and have been told its essential for a healthy running Xp system.Thank you

Im using windows Xp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

Many of us use a whole hard drive with no partitions. My guess is about half of us just dont see any benefit to having a partition(s).
I havent made a partition yet. I can see if you dual boot (two operating systems) it would be necessary.
So if I am all wet enlighten me.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

You would need special partitioning software like Norton Partition Magic. It can create or re-size another partition, without erasing existing data.

There is a freeware also, EASEUS Partition Master which is said to work like its Norton counterpart.
http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

CAUTION: Playing with partitions can accidently lead to loss of data. Try to back up all important data before you continue.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

FWIW: A partition...is not a hard drive. It's merely a portion of the hard drive which Windows recognizes as one storage cabinet. It can be the entire drive...it can be a small part of the drive...you have two merged partitions on one hard drive.

There is much data available on hard drives, partitions, creating partitions, etc....available by using Google...for any person who cares to educate herself/himself about such.

There is also information on the various means of partitioning and some of the reasons why partitioning is used by some.

Louis

#5 Capt.Rhodes

Capt.Rhodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

Hello thanks for the answers.
i may be wrong but pretty sure i have 2 seperate harddrives in the computer and now only have 1 combined showing on screen after last reformatting is this possible or did i just have 1 harddrive split into 2 partions and thats what i was seeing in "my computer screen" before?

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:39 AM

If you have two harddrives inside your case that are now being shown as only one, then the only way that would possible is if you have a RAID configuration. I have two harddrives that are setup in RAID to mirror each other and that makes it so that when I look in the My Computer folder, I only see one drive even though there really are two.

The name of my RAID card shows on the first screen when I start the computer and the harddrive shows somewhere, I think it is on the next screen, as 1X2 Mirrored.

There are two ways that I know of to know for sure which you have, one is to open the case and check how many harddrives are installed. The other way is to go into BIOS and check the harddrives in there. If you have two harddrives, they should each show up in there.

If you did the reformat and install yourself, and did not setup any RAID configuration, then I would think you only have one harddrive and it was partioned into two partitions before you formatted it. If that is the case, then when you opened the My Computer folder, it would have shown as two seperate drives. When you did the format, you only made one partion so now it shows up as only one drive.

If you can open the case, take a peak inside to be sure.

Just thought of another way you might be able to check to see how many drives you have. Right click on the disk in the My Computer folder and select properties, then click the hardware tab. When it shows all the disks, see if your harddrive shows as 1+0 span, or something like that, like mine does. If it does, then you are probably running a RAID configuration and have two harddrives. If it does not, you probably just have one harddrive installed.

Edited by Stang777, 03 April 2009 - 01:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users