Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to print very large numerals/letters

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:03 AM

Running W98SE on a Compaq. WP is MS Works (not Word). I want to be able to print very large numbers or letters (no special characters) on standard 8-1/2X11 paper. Example would be perhaps 2 numbers, maybe 6-8 inches high so they can be read from a distance. Largest type size Works gives me is 72, which results in characters maybe 1" high. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:19 AM

Does your printer allow you to print banners?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:26 AM

Does your printer allow you to print banners?

Sorry, no. What I'm trying to do is print some big characters (mostly numbers) on regular cheap paper that we can pin to kid's shirts for events at camp.

Just hoping I don't have to "flash" my BIOS to do that (never know with a Compaq :thumbsup: )
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:34 AM

I think what Leurgy was getting at is that you can find freeware programs that allow you to print "banners" and modify the size of the printing (probably down) to get what you want.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:55 AM

What kind of printer is this?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:24 AM

What kind of printer is this?

A Canon i550. But before I'm labeled lazy (again), let me dig into this banner thing.

#7 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:34 AM

OK, my bad...I can banner print (nothing about it in the dead-tree manual, but it's on Canon's website). So I tried it, printed a lovely two-page banner, but still need to get a huge font size.

Remember, I don't really want a six-foot long "Happy Birthday" banner, I want (at most) 3 numerals or characters "landscaped" on a standard chunk of 8.5X11 paper with the characters REALLY big and fat....maybe 7" high or so. Don't know what that font size would be (maybe 500 or so), but 72 is the biggest I can do at the moment.

Edit to add a PS: Just noted I'm now a "Senior Member" with 350+ posts. Grinler's system needs fixing....I'm figuring 349 posts begging for help and one (maybe) post helping others....how about a title "Senior Whiner" or something like that for folks like me? :thumbsup:

Edited by twinsdad, 14 June 2005 - 11:40 AM.

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:54 AM

I know that with my WP, I can right click the font and manually change the size from the defaults that are shown. In Word, I can right click on the text/number, and click FONT...where it says size, I manually type in the font size required.

Good-luck.
JC

#9 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:38 PM

Joshuacat: Many thanks...you poked me in the right direction...got what I needed.

Seems like in Works when starting a "new document" I am limited as to font size (maximum size is 72) BUT after typing what I want in any font size, I can then highlight the text and then go to: Format>Font and type in any number I want. Voila! Huge characters. Turns out what I need is something like a font size of 475. Hoping this might help others.

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:02 PM

:thumbsup: Great!

I just hope that you don't dry up your entire INK cartridge printing off one page.
:flowers:
JC

#11 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:59 PM

I just hope that you don't dry up your entire INK cartridge printing off one page

I thought Senior Members received free ink. Wasn't there a thread about that a while back...free pens, limos, something like that? Then again, nothing in my mailbox so far. :thumbsup:

#12 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:06 PM

:thumbsup:

I am sure you could e-mail it to Grinler, he could print it off for you, and drive down in his limo and drop it off for you. There must be some perk for running this site.

I think at this stage of our membership we are lucky to get a free pen.

:flowers:
JC

#13 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:27 AM

Free pen! Hey, I didn't get one :thumbsup:

Good solution twinsdad, I didn't know you could do that!
I was going to suggest using images - download a jpeg of a suitable number then adjust the page layout so when you printed it it was landscape, full page...

It might have worked. :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:08 AM

I was going to suggest a magic marker. Pretty lo-tech. eh? :thumbsup:

#15 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:54 AM

I was going to suggest a magic marker. Pretty lo-tech. eh?

A Jedi-Bios Master reduced to playing with crayons? Never!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users