Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ftp port 21 problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mdp

mdp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

Hi guys, I don't know much about computers so pls take it easy with me. I have just bought a used computer and when I go on the internet any HTTP site works fine. When I try other sites it won't connect and when I run the diagnostic test it comes up as FTP connection problems at port 21. As i said I have no idea about computers if you can help that would be great but please don't use any big computer words as I wont know what they mean! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:17 PM

FTP servers use port 21 by default for clients to connect. You are client and connecting to a ftp server. If you get this error then anything may be possible:

1. problem is on other side, the ftp server is down
2. ftp server requires authentication (username and password)
3. ftp server is not using default port 21
4. local problem: your firewall is blocking access to FTP

To see if problem is 1,2, or 3. Type ftp://ftp.arsc.edu in your browser (This is ftp server of Arctic Region Supercomputing Center and it lets connect anonymously at port 21.) If you see folders, then you just connected to ftp server of ARSC.

If your browser is blocked to access FTP by firewall etc then do this:
Disable firewall for a momen if possible, [later enable it].
Open Start Menu>Run and type cmd. In the command-prompt type following:
ftp ftp.arsc.edu and press Enter

If you see a welcome message from the ftp server, then you can connect. In that case type quit to disconnect from the server. Dont forget to enable firewall.

I recommend using a FTP client to access FTP servers like :
http://filezilla-project.org/
http://www.smartftp.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users