Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word, excel Etc

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyCS

DaveyCS

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

My daughter is thinking of buying a ASUS 900 note book. It has linux on it she needs word and several other things that are used in windows. Can she make it work or are there programs, like these she can use? Can She convert to a windows system if she has to? :thumbsup:
Thank You
David Crockett Sr
"Thank You Very Much".........

Davey Crockett Sr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:34 AM

Don't they make a Windows version of the ASUS? Best to buy the product you really want with the OS you really want right from the start. OpenOffice is compatible with most MS Office formats but not the other way around. Windows can't read Linux filesystems w/o third party software and like wise cannot interact with much opensource formats:

Use Linux and FOSS apps and stick with it - I have done business for the past 5 yrs with local school district and they are none the wiser that I use Linux
Use Windows and Winapps and stick with that - and no one will be the wiser that you are using anything but Windows

Other options are:
MS Office on WINE - not for newbs
Windows and associated applications in a virtual machine - definitely not for newbs
Office on xover office - costs money -
dual boot Linux and Windows with a common FAT partition - not too bad but still requires some effort

:thumbsup:

Edited by Trio3b, 29 March 2009 - 12:41 AM.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:36 AM

If you can post a link to the exact Asus 900 your daughter is looking at it would help to narrow down the options, but here are some basics.

The Asus 900 comes in many different forms and depending on the hard drive size and system memory available will decide what option is best for your daughter. OpenOffice.org from Sun MicroSystems replaces the MS Office Suite (I use it in both Windows Vista and Ubuntu Linux) but may take up alot of space on the smaller Hard Drives There are 2 other office suites available for linux (from what I know) Gnome-Office and K-Office but both of those require the Gnome or KDE desktop environments (respectively) and I have not used them so I cannot vouch for how well they work. All of the programs can be downloaded separately or as the suite, so if she only requires those 2 programs you can save a little space.

Learn more about each Office Suite and its components at their respective sites:
http://www.openoffice.org/
http://www.koffice.org/
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeOffice

There is one more Office option: CrossOver its a Compatability Layer to run Windows Programs on Linux. You have to buy Crossover $40-$70 and than purchase MS Office.

Learn More About Crossover for Linux here:
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/

As for converting to Windows it can be done using Xp on the larger Hard Drives but then you might as well have bought the Xp version of the ASUS 900 (they are very close in price to the Linux versions)

Posted Image

#4 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:15 AM

This is the one she wants. But in white. It can expand, to 1G of RAM. And several options on HHD. Which I think is really a flash drive. :thumbsup:

Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook Celeron M 900MHz Processor 512MB RAM, 4GB SSD 8.9" LCD Linux OS -Black Factory Refurbished - Eee PC 900 BLK

Thank You For Information
David W Crockett Sr

Edited by dcsbass, 29 March 2009 - 11:16 AM.

Davey Crockett Sr

#5 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:21 PM

Really, the simplest answer is:

If you and your daughter are the slightest bit adventurous, Linux will do most anything you want. I just helped my daughter with her Windows Vista/Zune combo and it was no picnic. Effort is required no matter what you do,

keep in mind however that:

Many problems encountered in the Windows world are CREATED IN THE BOARDROOM as part of the MS business model. :thumbsup:

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:03 PM

You're most likely going to to want to use single programs over a Suite if you go with that one. If it were me I'd look into a larger hard drive model (by the way SSD stands for Solid State Drive, aka Flash drive so you're right) but that's just my opinion. These "netbooks" as they're called are meant to mainly be used for Web Surfing and stuff like that.

Linux can be easier to use than Windows (It loads my MP3 player as a Removable drive that I can edit, transfer, add, or delete files from. Vista won't.) There's almost always a FOSS solution for a Windows application, especially popular applications

Edited by BlackSpyder, 29 March 2009 - 11:09 PM.

Posted Image

#7 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:53 AM

She bought one last night it is bigger and hard drive is a real hard drive. So we will go from there. It also had all programs on it she wanted! Don't know model. I didn't look at it yet. I just know I paid for it..
So Thank You For Your Help, and Time :thumbsup:

David W Crockett Sr

Davey Crockett Sr

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:50 PM

Don't know model. I didn't look at it yet. I just know I paid for it..

:thumbsup: Thats about the way it goes, you don't know what she bought or what it does but you know how much it cost!

Posted Image

#9 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:08 PM

:thumbsup: Isn't That What Fathers Are FOR????? To pay for every thing??? I still have a wedding to pay for her this year??? I need three jobs...... :flowers: :trumpet:

Thank You For Your Reply's

Edited by dcsbass, 31 March 2009 - 05:09 PM.

Davey Crockett Sr

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:12 PM

:thumbsup: Isn't That What Fathers Are FOR????? To pay for every thing?

that's how I understood the situation.

#11 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:53 AM

:thumbsup: Isn't That What Fathers Are FOR????? To pay for every thing???

Maybe time to start reading the fine print, eh? :flowers:

#12 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:28 AM

I agree with that, got to be careful where your money goes :thumbsup:
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users