Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External USB HD size not recognized by PC?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Philbee

Philbee

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

I have searched these forums the best I could, but couldn't find anything specific to my issue - so here is a new thread.

I have a Toshiba MK3252GSX 320Gb USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - purchased just yesterday.

I plugged it into my Dell Dimension 8400 which runs Win XP Home Ed as an OS. It recognized it, pulled up its details correctly and said we were off to the races.

However, my computer is only registering the USB device as having 8Gb of available space? I visited the Toshiba web site and they mentioned very off handidly something about Drive Overlay software and gave a link to a third party website which doesn't seem to offer anything remotely like that.

I have been searching different combination's of my problem in Google and getting nowhere fast, so I thought I would try you guys and see if anyone has a simple fix or something for me to try.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:43 PM

Go to Disk Management (Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter) and post all data reflected for that particular drive.

IMO, I suggest not using drive overlay software...as it has been known to create problems in XP and partition structures.

Louis

#3 Philbee

Philbee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

Go to Disk Management (Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter) and post all data reflected for that particular drive.

So I did and I saw that the first 8Gb was partitioned from the rest of the drive, so being ever curious and for that matter, stupid, I clicked around a bit and was given an option to 'remove the partition', "that's what I want to do surely" I thought. So I clicked "yes" and now the drive is not showing up at all in my list in Explorer window, or the diskmgmt.msc window either.

Just shoot me in the face now. :thumbsup:

#4 Philbee

Philbee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

A long and convoluted story boils down to these bullet points:
  • The PC would not recognize the external Toshiba drive after I messed with the partition size Disc Manager
  • The PC did recognize another external hard drive I had only smaller and it too only showed 8Gb despite being 75Gb
  • I managed to work through the partition wizard in Disc Manager to make the smaller one completely open
  • When I plugged the Toshiba drive back in again for grins, it now suddenly popped up in the Disk Manager list
  • I used the same approach viz a viz using the partition wizard in Disk Manager
  • All is well with the world and yet I am still an idiot!
I think you can safely close this thread as being completely resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users