Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts off

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 randaloopy

randaloopy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

I have a 2 1/2 year old Dell XPS 200 that just shuts off by itself and then the power button blinks orange. I have to unplug the power cord from the unit for awhile (10-15 min.) and then when I plug it back in and power it up, it restarts.

From reading other posts it seems this may be the internal power supply (not sure if that's what it's called though) going bad. It does feel warm but I don't know if that's normal or not.

Any other ideas or should I just order a new power supply? And do I need to buy Dells power supply or can I get one from a less expensive store?

Thank you so much, Randy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:11 PM

Try resetting the cmos by unplugging the computer, and taking the quarter sized battery out for a few minutes.

You should read through this dell troubleshooting guide too. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...1.htm#wp1043338
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users