Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good data recovery software?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 genericsmith

genericsmith

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:42 PM

My external hard drive is giving me problems. Whenever I have it plugged in and try to go to the drive in My Computer it tells me that the drive is unformatted and asks if I want to format it now.

Using PC Inspector File Recovery I can browse the drive and it looks like all the files are still there and the program will let me copy some of the old files back to my main hard drive. Unfortunately I have a lot of movies and other large files on the hard drive and the program crashes quite often when I try to recover a lot at a time... especially with anything larger than image files it seems.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good file recovery program, preferably free. The drive is formatted as Fat32, if that makes a difference.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

Sometimes you can use a Linux Live Cd, such and Knoppix, Puppy, DSL (Damn Small Linux), or Ubuntu to recover files from a hard drive. each one has its own little differences, but for the most part if you boot any of these Live CD's there should be two Icons on the desktop for hard drives one is your internal and one is your external. from there it's a Copy and Paste or Drag and Drop operation just like Windows, provided the External drive is not completely ruined

Posted Image

#3 genericsmith

genericsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

I appreciate the tip.

I have a question though. How does one go about getting one of those CDs? Do I just download something then burn it onto a CD?

Thanks again.

#4 haun

haun

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:01 PM

Yes. Also recuva is a good program
Annnnd you're, asking, me...

#5 genericsmith

genericsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:32 PM

Sometimes you can use a Linux Live Cd, such and Knoppix, Puppy, DSL (Damn Small Linux), or Ubuntu to recover files from a hard drive. each one has its own little differences, but for the most part if you boot any of these Live CD's there should be two Icons on the desktop for hard drives one is your internal and one is your external. from there it's a Copy and Paste or Drag and Drop operation just like Windows, provided the External drive is not completely ruined

I did manage to get an iso of Ubuntu burned and I was able to explore my external drive. I was going to try a couple of the different Live CDs and see how they run, but it looks like I'll be able to get most of my data off of the drive.

Thanks a bunch!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users