Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WLM - Handle non trovato/ Handle not found

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 moppi

moppi

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

Dopo aver preso un virus impestato tramite Windows Live Messenger, ho cercato di rimuovere tutto.
Ho anche rimosso WLM e cercato di reinstallare wlm piu' volte, anche diverse versioni, piu' vecchie.
Il risultato e' sempre lo stesso ora: il programma non parte e si ottiene il messaggio di errore HANDLE NON VALIDO.
Allego il report relativo al mio pc, per capire se c'e' ancora qualche virus o anomalia presente.
Spero in qualche aiuto.
Grazie,
Maurizio

Here is my english version!!

I had a big problem with Windows Live Messenger, a virus that suggested me to remove WLM and try to clean the PC.
I tried to do my best in removing all the viruses, but the WLM is still not working (please check the file I attached to see if the system is still infected).
I tried to reinstall WLM, even older versions, but after the install is ok, the program doesn't start.
The only thing I have is an error message "HANDLE NON TROVATO (HANDLE NOT FOUND).
Any idea on how to solve this issue?
Many thanks, Maurizio

Attached Files

Edited by moppi, 28 March 2009 - 07:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.

If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.
Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

Please, we are an English language site. Allows more helpers to work with you. Your English is excellent. Grazie.

R,
K
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 moppi

moppi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

The problem I have today of "Handle not found" came out after I had the system infected through the msn messenger.
I disinstalled the application and then tried many utility to remove the virus.
After different scans I realized the system is no longer infected (I hope so !!), so I reinstalled the live messenger (latest version).
The installation seems to complete correctly, but trying to run the application the only message I have ia a "Handle not Valid", with the pathname of the application (see the attached picture, that shows the message box in italian).
Now I used the DDS scanner, and I attached the txt report.
I hope it can helps you to give me some indications.
Please feel free to ask me any trial, test or modification, because now I got the PC with the error (it is the PC of a friend of mine).
Many thanks,
moppi

Attached Files

Edited by moppi, 11 April 2009 - 05:42 PM.

#4 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

Howdy, my name is Hoov, and I will be helping you with your dilemma.

Please make sure you watch this thread for responses. If you click the options tab at the top of your first post, you can select to track this thread.

Here is what I am asking you to do during the repair of your computer

*Tell me everything that you have done, if anything, to try and fix this problem.

*Please only use 1 forum to help clear up your problem. Posting on more than 1 and following instructions from more than 1 forum will cause those helping you to pull out thier hair.

*Follow my instructions - If you can't for some reason, or if you don't understand something, please tell me. If you deviate from my instructions, tell me, it may make a difference on where we go. Don't install anything, even other programs that have nothing to do with security or malware, it could cause things to change, and I would never know it.

*Have faith. I will do all I can to get your computer working, and if I can't - someone else here will know something else to try.

*Stick with me to the end. My aim is to fix your problems, and give you the tools and knowledge to keep this from happening again.

Now onto trying to fix your computer.

If I am helping you and you don't hear from me for 24Hrs, send me a PM Please!

I need you to go to the administration tools in XP. They are in the Control Panel. Open the Admin tools, then open the event viewer. Over on the left hand side and click on System. Then up at the top click on Action and then click on Save Events As, type in system as the file name, make sure file type EVT is selected, and then navigate so it will save the file to your desktop, then click save. Over on the left hand side and click on Application. Then up at the top click on Action and then click on Save Events As, type in application as the file name, make sure file type EVT is selected, and then navigate so it will save the file to your desktop, then click save. Zip them both up into a single zip file, post them back here in your next reply as attachments.
Visiting From SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
-From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Senior of the Howard Families

Posted Image

#5 moppi

moppi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

Dear Hoov,
many thanks for your help!
I will follow you and your suggestions!!.
Attached the zip file with system and application env files.
Please let me know.
Ciao,
moppi

Attached Files

#6 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

Try using this to uninstall and cleanup the windows live messenger installation. Then reboot and try reinstalling from there.

Posted Image

#7 moppi

moppi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

I tried the Windows Installer Cleanup, but nothing changed (unfortunately).
The Invalid Handle error message is still there !!

I did some more trials with older msn messenger version.
I found out that the old version 5 is installing and running, but than, after Sign on, it forces to install a newer version (so it is not a usable solution).
Installing a version 6, version 6.2 or the latest version available, the program doesn't start at all, with the error message (Invalid Handle).
I don't know, maybe passing from 5 to 6 there was a different method to run the application.

That's all by now.

Many Thanks!

#8 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

If you logon to a different user account in windows, will it run?

Posted Image

#9 moppi

moppi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

Just tried: same problem.

#10 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

Try uninstalling all copies of WLM and then follow the instructions. Then reboot to safe mode with networking and reinstall it.

Posted Image

#11 moppi

moppi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

I've tried the Safe Mode, but WLM does not install (probably for the safe mode).
The error shown is 0x80070641, saying that is impossible to access to the Windows Installer Service.
Possible reasons:
1. Safe Mode
2. Windows Installer not correctly installed (one question: is possible to reinstall the Windows Installer Service ?)

#12 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:32 PM

You can go into the Admin tools into services, double click on the windows installer service, select manual startup type, and then click the start button. Then it should install.

Posted Image

#13 moppi

moppi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

No way, nothing new happened!
Always the same error message.
Moppi

#14 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

Have you used any kind of registry cleaner around the time this problem showed up?

Posted Image

#15 moppi

moppi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

Yes, I already used Eusing free register cleaner, Regseeker and the tools in IObit Advanced System Care.
Nothing changed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users