Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

Hi, my Internet Explorer won't start. I click on it, and my cursor will change to the little blue circle like it does when something is loading (formerly the hourglass), but then IE never comes up. I tried starting it without add-ons, and that didn't work. I used to have IE 7 when this problem started, then I tried installing IE 8, but that didn't work either. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

1. Make sure iexplore.exe isn't already running (task manager).

2. Try typing iexplore.exe into the Run prompt.
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#3 PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

the iexplore process was running, so i stopped it. But it still wouldn't start after that, even using the run command

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:07 AM

A long shot here.

Open up tools at the top of this page. Choose Internet Options.
Advanced tab.
Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click reset.

This, if it works, will reset your home page to msn, but you can easily change it back to whatever page you prefer.

#5 PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

no luck there. i am only able to use firefox right now, but going through the control panel and doing it didn't work either.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:43 PM

Have you uninstalled IE8?
If not uninstall it.
If you have and IE7 won't connect, you may want to try unistalling 7, then reinstalling.

IE7 download is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx

#7 PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:19 PM

I can't find anyway to uninstall internet explorer. Am I being stupid or is Vista being stupid?

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

How to Uninstall IE8 in Windows XP and Windows Vista

Scroll down to the Vista section. It mentions beta in the instructions, ignore that. The process will be the same
for you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 March 2009 - 06:43 PM.

#9 PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

ok I have uninstalled IE8, so I'm back on IE7 and still having the same problem. I have read that it isn't even possible to uninstall IE7 from Vista.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:19 PM

Vista is a whole different game. Everything I found says that you are correct, it cannot be uninstalled from Vista. And since I know nothing about Vista, I cannot offer anymore possible solutions. I'll put out a call to see if there are any Vista experts who can help you.

#11 PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

ok thanks for all your help

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:26 AM

IE7 is the "base" for Vista (as IE6 is for XP) - you can't get further back than that.
Do you have SP1 installed?
Have you had any virus infections?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

Are you sure there's no malware on your computer?

If it's clean now you might have to repair Vista if you have tried all those fixes since uninstalling IE8

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/78386/bleeping-computer-vista-tutorials/
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#14 PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

yeah i haven't found any viruses or anything. I did the Vista repair thing. I put my Vista CD in and restarted the computer. I tried doing startup repair and it said "If you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer. If you continue to see this message, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance." I had an iPod, printer, and mouse plugged in, so I removed everything except for my power cord (it's a laptop) and I restarted my computer, only to get the same message when trying to do startup repair again. At this point, I removed the Vista CD and restarted. It gave me an error screen that recommended that I run startup repair, so I did. After a while, it said it could not fix the problem. Ugh.

#15 PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users