Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus, HELP PLEASE!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dewguy

dewguy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

I'm pretty sure my computer has a virus.

When I boot-up the firewall is turned off. When I search on yahoo, google, msn or any other portals (in firefox and internet explorer) the links I click on are being redirected to other sites. I've run spybot, eset, and Lavasoft Ad-aware programs to scan my system and remove potential threats. They'll remove some cookies. I've tried updating to the latest virus definitions and the programs won't connect to do so. Any new programs I try to install to fix the problem will download but not install. I've tried installing combofix as well as malwarebytes. Neither will install. I'm running Vista Home Premium. If anyone has any ideas please post back, I'm completely frustrated with the problem. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:09 PM

Welcom to this forum :thumbsup:

I've tried updating to the latest virus definitions and the programs won't connect to do so

To start with, how many and which 'antivirus' 'programs' do you have installed?

I've tried installing combofix as well as malwarebytes. Neither will install.

Please do NOT venture anywhere near the ComboFix tool as, as you will find if you do research about it via a google search, it is a tool intended by its creator for use only when requested by a person trained and competent in its use and normally only requested within the HJT section of forums ; if you use it unsupervised you COULD wipe off your OS and render it completley useless!!

Please advise on the antivirus programs :flowers:

If you have managed to download the Malwarebytes program you may need to change the name of the EXE to enable it to run

#3 dewguy

dewguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

I have 3. Lavasoft Ad-Aware, ESET Smart Security, Windows Defender, and Spybot. I also have Malwarebytes installed, but it will not run. I've tried running and re-installing Malwarebytes in safemode and still no success. I've also tried updating the virus definitions in safemode with networking capabilities with no success as well. Thanks for the advice on ComboFix. I had read another post in the forum that sounded a lot like the problem I'm experiencing and was just going through the steps that had been suggested.

#4 dewguy

dewguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

I also tried renaming the Malwarebytes program. No luck. Good suggestion though, I did not even think of that. Thanks so much.

#5 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:10 PM

I had read another post in the forum that sounded a lot like the problem I'm experiencing and was just going through the steps that had been suggested.

The risk with doing that is that, their problems are unique to/for them and , although maybe similar, will NOT be the same as you, like each of us on this and every forum have a different computer .

From what you have said you only have ONE installed antivirus program as

Windows Defender

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...er/default.mspx

Windows Defender detects and removes spywareWindows Defender is software that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software by detecting and removing known spyware from your computer. Windows Defender features Real-Time Protection, a monitoring system that recommends actions against spyware when it's detected, minimizes interruptions, and helps you stay productive.

THIS
Eset

http://www.eset.com/smartsecurity/

appears to be YOUR antivirus program

ESET Smart Security is the most effective protection you can use to combat today's huge volumes of Internet and email threats. It combines ESET's award-winning NOD32® proactive antivirus and antispyware protection with a powerful yet easy–to-use firewall and robust antispam technology.

I also tried renaming the Malwarebytes program. No luck. Good suggestion though, I did not even think of that. Thanks so much.

To what did you rename it?

Maybe try try renaming it 'ingenue.exe'

see if it will then run :thumbsup:

#6 dewguy

dewguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:25 PM

Tried renaming it. Still no luck. Would trying to run or update any of the malware or virus protection programs in safemode make a difference?

#7 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

I have asked a Mod to take a look as I beleive there is a program you need to run to help you forward but, as I have no experience with the program I hesitate to suggest it ...............

Would trying to run or update any of the malware or virus protection programs in safemode make a difference?

As far as I am aware no program can be updated unless one is connected to the internet ( unless of course it is done by the transfer of update information via a USB stick or CD)

Of interest, how 'out of date 'are your antivirus and antispyware definitions?

#8 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

A suggestion for you to try; please see the instructions on this post number 4 by Budapest to run
Dr Web Cure It
NB

Before we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1194475

However, as you have Spybot running , if you have Tea-timer enabled you need to disable it first please.
I have located this guide to help you to do that

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic88240.html

Let us know how you progress with that. A mod will look in shortly to check on your progress and see if you DID manage to run the suggested scan :thumbsup:

Edited by snowdrop, 28 March 2009 - 03:27 PM.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

Would trying to run or update any of the malware or virus protection programs in safemode make a difference?

If you are able to use safe mode w/networking, by all means use it to update
Most, but not all tools need to be run in normal mode for best results.
That doesn't mean you cannot run it in safe mode and if that's the only way it will run, then do so
It should clean it up enough to use normal mode for a second scan
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users