Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wubi Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pochp

pochp

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:32 AM

I just found out that Wubi is the best Ubuntu OS for Windows:

'Wubi is Safe
You keep Windows as it is, Wubi only adds an extra option to boot into Ubuntu. Wubi does not require you to modify the partitions of your PC, or to use a different bootloader, and does not install special drivers. It works just like any other application. Wubi is spyware and malware free, and being open source, anyone can verify that.
Wubi is Discrete
Wubi keeps most of the files in one folder, and if you do not like it, you can simply uninstall it as any other application.
Wubi is Free
Wubi and Ubuntu cost absolutely nothing (free as in beer), but yet provide a state of the art, fully functional, operating system that does not require any activation and does not impose any restriction on its use (free as in freedom).'

The problem is that it requires 5GB of free space! Does anybody know something better?

Edited by garmanma, 28 March 2009 - 10:53 AM.
better suited for the Linux forum

pochp.wordpress.com
Plato on-line

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:01 PM

Nothing better for installing Linux as a Windows app, no. But you can run a Linux desktop without ever installing it on your hard drive. Most major distros have a LiveCD version (including Ubuntu). Simply boot the computer from the CD or DVD. Note that LiveCD versions will always be slower than regularly installed versions and when you reboot all changes will be lost.

#3 pochp

pochp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

Thanks Andrew.
pochp.wordpress.com
Plato on-line

#4 doctorphibes

doctorphibes

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:18 AM

:flowers:
No linux whiz here but I've tried wubi 3 times and found it to be utter rubbish(at least for my pc :thumbsup: )
I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein

#5 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:28 AM

Humm, I used Wubi for intrepid Ibex, it is doing fine. I also bought the Linux magazine w/ Open SuSe 11.0 and installed it on a new build I recently finished. I know very little about either distro, but am learning slowly. I enjoy learning commands for the terminal. Cheers! Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#6 doctorphibes

doctorphibes

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:06 AM

Hello Alan,
Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure some people do fine with wubi. I was wondering did you have product sent to you or did you download from one of the mirrors? My first attempt as a dual boot on an HP Pavillion AMD64 3700+ 1G RAM 200G HDD, I went to the "Official Ubuntu site and after installing my virus scanner picked up Keylogger.com with 187 associated instances(believe that was the figure) So I immediately uninstalled. After a while I tried again and got what was either a corrupt distro(couldn't access it even though I followed protocol very closely), or a fake login screen. No thanks. I am however looking at openSuse but I think I may be more inclined to go with Debian simply because I'm using HP architecture plus they have a massive amount of other software you can get already in a stable state. I took the test at a linux site to see what distro would be best suited for me and it came up with openSuSe. Wubi and Ubuntu were far down on the list. I don't know much about command line. It did strike me as odd that Debian wasn't even on the list. I went to their site and was quite impressed. Yhey have a massive amount of screenshots and list all of their software and wikis and widgets and wot not :thumbsup: So I'm a little torn I'm going to check back with the openSuse site today because if I recall they had a program you could use to build any distro you wanted any way you wanted if I understood it correctly. Debian was the only one (this probably sounds naive), that had an addition to grab yahoo. I have to admit I've become a bit dependant on Yahoo for business reasons. Not to mention virtually ALL of my friends are on it. I don't thik I'll be able to convince them all(if any) to come to linux as like me they'll have to go through rehab to get Windows out of my system and Bill Gates out of my pocket. I'm 51 this month and never touched a computer until 1999. It was and has always been Windows. I absolutely have come to despise them. I was wondering why Debian didn't come up on my list at all. Is their some sort of rift between them and the rest of the nix community? Oh well. Also. if you have any tips I can use during installs I'd appreciate any feedback. Well. Good day!!
My laptop is also an HP pentium 4 by the way. I know that Debian is working closely with HP. Cheers!
I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein

#7 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:55 PM

Hello Alan,
Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure some people do fine with wubi. I was wondering did you have product sent to you or did you download from one of the mirrors? My first attempt as a dual boot on an HP Pavillion AMD64 3700+ 1G RAM 200G HDD, I went to the "Official Ubuntu site and after installing my virus scanner picked up Keylogger.com with 187 associated instances(believe that was the figure) So I immediately uninstalled. After a while I tried again and got what was either a corrupt distro(couldn't access it even though I followed protocol very closely), or a fake login screen. No thanks. I am however looking at openSuse but I think I may be more inclined to go with Debian simply because I'm using HP architecture plus they have a massive amount of other software you can get already in a stable state. I took the test at a linux site to see what distro would be best suited for me and it came up with openSuSe. Wubi and Ubuntu were far down on the list. I don't know much about command line. It did strike me as odd that Debian wasn't even on the list. I went to their site and was quite impressed. Yhey have a massive amount of screenshots and list all of their software and wikis and widgets and wot not :thumbsup: So I'm a little torn I'm going to check back with the openSuse site today because if I recall they had a program you could use to build any distro you wanted any way you wanted if I understood it correctly. Debian was the only one (this probably sounds naive), that had an addition to grab yahoo. I have to admit I've become a bit dependant on Yahoo for business reasons. Not to mention virtually ALL of my friends are on it. I don't thik I'll be able to convince them all(if any) to come to linux as like me they'll have to go through rehab to get Windows out of my system and Bill Gates out of my pocket. I'm 51 this month and never touched a computer until 1999. It was and has always been Windows. I absolutely have come to despise them. I was wondering why Debian didn't come up on my list at all. Is their some sort of rift between them and the rest of the nix community? Oh well. Also. if you have any tips I can use during installs I'd appreciate any feedback. Well. Good day!!
My laptop is also an HP pentium 4 by the way. I know that Debian is working closely with HP. Cheers!

Hello, sorry it took so long to get back to you, I did Mirror the Ibex, and a Hardy heron before that, as to the SuSE I am not at all up on this distro, it was free w/Linux magazine so I bought it to help me sell a custom computer. Cheers! Enjoy Linux!~)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users