Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Glitchy new wireless mouse and keyboard.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

The idea of wireless and the $20 price got me while I was in the store the other day. I really like it but the mouse is a little weird. It just hesitates whenever something takes priority over the USB port, at least I guess that's what it is. I have the receiver plugged into the back of the computer, but the signal is strong enough to work from a fair distance. Is this the way they all work, or is it just that I got a cheap setup? Is there anything I can do to improve its behaviour?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Promethius

Promethius

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:07 AM

Generally closer is better.

If you have the receiever and its plugged into the back of the tower and its one of those flash drive looking receivers, the computer is more than likely blocking\interfering with the signal (since the signal in essence is trying to go around or through the tower.)

You can use a USB extender to extend the receiver away from the tower and away from any impossible interferance (monitors\cell phones\wirless routers or receivers).

Try this out and let us know.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:17 AM

So you're saying that when when nothing is plugged in, it works fine?
If all of the USB plugs you're using are what's on the motherboard, I'd get a USB controller card and use it for everything else
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

I've got a row on the front of the computer with all the slots for different types of flash memory plus a USB, and I have another pair of USB sockets on the bottom front where the headphone and mic jacks are. I'm plugging it in there as I type this message, so we'll see what happens. I originally plugged it into the back so I wouldn't accidentally knock it off and bust it, and because the owners guide showed it that way.

I have no other USB devices plugged in except the printer, it just seemed like other apps or background services were interrupting it. This new mouse and keyboard came together with a 2.4 GHz USB receiver.

It was really stuttering when I was listening to streaming radio with Winamp. I had to turn off Winamp to even be able to work with it. Now I have Winamp on again after moving it and I'm trying again. It seems like it might be better, I'll just have to keep an eye on it for a while and report back with the results.

I suppose the video cable could conceivably interfere with a receiver behind the box; the receiver was right next to the video socket.

Edit: Thanks for moving my topic to the External Hardware forum.

Edited by RknRusty, 28 March 2009 - 02:54 PM.

#5 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

I've been using it plugged into the front since I posted almost 24 hours ago, and it hasn't significantly stuttered since then. So the position is important. Hmmmm, my wife says that too. :>

Thanks much for that advice,
Rusty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users