Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Helper.dll, nexplore popup, antivirus/spyware removal program advice

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chadoww

chadoww

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:04 AM

Hello,

Every time I reboot my computer, a new directory labeled common is created and placed in C:program files with helper.dll in it. I can delete it, but it just recreates itself everytime I reboot. How can I get rid of this? I have read that this can be disguised as a trojan that can retreive banking info, but it says that it is usually in the c:windows/system directory, which in this case it isn't, as far as I know.

I have scanned my computer with my Trend Micro Internet Security and no trojans are found and the adware/spyware that is found, supposedly is removed. I get a few popups like nexplore, and virus remover 2009, so I am pretty sure my computer has something on it that I'm not aware of. Just not sure what else I can do at this point. I have cleared all cookies, and temp internet files, etc.

Also, what virus scan/spyware removal program is the best out there? I have always used Trend Micro, but I was just curious if anyone could give me advice on what to use in case there is anything better out there.

Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:25 AM

I would strongly suggest that you read through this topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

You have probably picked up a Nasty hiding in the bowels of your system...Even the best of malware removal programs are not able to find some of these things much less remove them. Read this article which will help you prepare for the HighJackThis forum. Once you have prepared the reports follow the directions for opening up a new topic there.
PLEASE, Do not post the logs in this forum...They will be ignored or moved to the appropriate forum. That may delay your request for help.

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 28 March 2009 - 07:27 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users