Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with Genericrootkit.w

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rootkitinfected

rootkitinfected

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:42 AM

I am running XP Pro and Macafee popsup with messages regrading removal of a generic rootkit.w very often. The actual name of the file is different each time - "port135sil.sys" and "fips32cup.sys" are a couple of the names. Though MacAfee says it removed the file, it continues to be there.

I would really appreciate help in diagnostic and removal procedures.

Thanks!

Edited by rootkitinfected, 28 March 2009 - 07:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

Hello Rootkitinfected and welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Rootkits are usually not that easy to be taken care of. It seems this one is a rootkit that changes everytime you quarantine/delete it or reboot your machine.

Some information on rootkits.

Posted ImageRootkit Threat

Unfortunatly One or more of the identified infections is a Rootkit/backdoor trojan.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Rootkits and backdoor Trojans are very dangerous because they use advanced techniques (backdoors) as a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans and rootkits as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, you should immediately disconnect from the Internet until your system is cleaned. All passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. You should change each password by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. If using a router, you need to reset it with a strong logon/password so the malware cannot gain control before connect again. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

Although the rootkit has been identified and may be removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because this malware has been removed the computer is now secure. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:Should you decide not to follow that advice, we will do our best to help clean the computer of any infections but we cannot guarantee it to be trustworthy or that the removal will be successful. Tell me what you want to do.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 rootkitinfected

rootkitinfected
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:44 PM

Well, that is not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the reply - I am now changing all the information I need to.

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

Hello.

Would you rather me not tell you and "hide" that you have a backdoor and rootkit infection? Although you may not like what you got but letting you know is still needed.

Do you still wish to continue to disinfect or not?

If you do wish to continue, it would be best if you start a topic in the Malware Removal forum.

1st Step: Preparation Guide Before Starting a Topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
2nd Step: Starting a Topic in the HJT-Malware Removal forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Good Luck!

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 rootkitinfected

rootkitinfected
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:35 PM

Hello.

Would you rather me not tell you and "hide" that you have a backdoor and rootkit infection? Although you may not like what you got but letting you know is still needed.

Do you still wish to continue to disinfect or not?

If you do wish to continue, it would be best if you start a topic in the Malware Removal forum.

1st Step: Preparation Guide Before Starting a Topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
2nd Step: Starting a Topic in the HJT-Malware Removal forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Good Luck!

With Regards,
Extremeboy

No, No! You misunderstood me!

I am very glad you made me aware of the situation! I just meant it was worse news than I had expected.

I have removed the PC from the internet while I fully assess the situation. I will rebuild the machine from scratch, but need to do some research on whether I can safely salvage the non-executable files from it - by moving them to a USB drive and fully scanning them with a clean machine before copying them. Also whether there is any risk to NAS drives I had mapped to the machine.

Any suggestions on where to look for some advice or info on the above?

Again, thank you very much for the help and information!

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

Hello.

Okay. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way. Sorry for misunderstanding you.

When backing up files and datas there are mainly 2 general guidelines:

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe's, .scr, .com, .pif etc... as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

Note: Some may want to be safe, wondering if their data files are infected or not so to make sure you should scan those files using an anti-virus scanner and an anti-malware/anti-spyware scanner making sure they are free from malware before transfering it to your new formatted computer. From what I have seen the results were always CLEAN, meaning they were not infected at all.

If you are going to use a flash-drive then please run the following tool below.

Download and Run FlashDisinfector
  • Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden file named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder. It will help protect your drives from future infection.

Anything else you want to ask?

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#7 rootkitinfected

rootkitinfected
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

Hello.

Okay. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way. Sorry for misunderstanding you.

When backing up files and datas there are mainly 2 general guidelines:

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe's, .scr, .com, .pif etc... as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

Note: Some may want to be safe, wondering if their data files are infected or not so to make sure you should scan those files using an anti-virus scanner and an anti-malware/anti-spyware scanner making sure they are free from malware before transfering it to your new formatted computer. From what I have seen the results were always CLEAN, meaning they were not infected at all.

If you are going to use a flash-drive then please run the following tool below.

Download and Run FlashDisinfector

• Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden file named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder. It will help protect your drives from future infection.

Anything else you want to ask?

With Regards,
Extremeboy

Thanks again, Extremeboy!

Your description of a process to clean and salvage my data was just what I had in mind. I will follow your instructions.

You have been a great help, take care!

#8 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

Thanks.

No problem, glad I could help :flowers:

Some prevention tips.

Preventing Infections in the Future

Please also have a look at the following links, giving some advice and Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:
  • Avoid gaming sites, underground web pages, pirated software sites, and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans spread across P2P file sharing networks, gaming and underground sites. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users.
Disable Autorun on Flash-Drive/Removable Drives

When is AUTORUN.INF really an AUTORUN.INF?

USB worms work by creating a file called AUTORUN.INF on the root of USB drives. These INF files then use Autorun or Autoplay (not the same thing!) to execute themselves either when the stick is inserted, or more commonly, when the user double-clicks on the USB drive icon from My Computer (Windows Explorer)...

Keeping Autorun enabled on USB and other removable drives has become a significant security risk due to the increasing number of malware variants that can infect them and transfer the infection to your computer. Read USB-Based Malware Attacks and Please disable Autorun asap!.

If using Windows Vista, please refer to:
"Disable AutoPlay in Windows Vista"
"Preventing AutoPlay with Local Group Policy Editor or AutoPlay options panel"

Note: When Autorun is disabled, double-clicking a drive which has autorun.inf in its root directory may still activate Autorun so be careful.

Vist the WindowsUpdate Site Regularly

I recommend you regularly visit the Windows Update Site!
  • Lots of Hacking/Trojans use the methods found (plugged by the updates) that have not been stopped by people not updating.
  • Update ALL Critical updates and any other Windows updates for services/programs that you use.
  • If you wish to turn on automatic updates then you will find here is a nice little article about turning on automatic updates.
  • Note that it will download them for you, but you still have to actually click install.
Update Non-Microsoft Programs

It is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications that are regularly patched to fix vulnerabilities. You can check these by visiting Secunia Software Inspector and Calendar of Updates.

Update all programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs you have installed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.
Finally, and definitely the MOST IMPORTANT step, click on the following tutorial and follow each step listed there:

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

Glad I was able to help and thank you for choosing Bleeping Computer as you malware removal source.
Don't forget to tell your friends about us and Good luck :thumbsup:

With Regards,
Extremeboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users