Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cross platform nework

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:24 AM

Hi All.. :thumbsup:

I have few Mac's and few PC's and would like to make little network so that I can transfer (Raw, JPEG TIFF files) from one platform to the other.
Would it be possible to do something like that? And, how would I go about security..
At the moment all of machines are connected to Internet via router with all possible virus/malware sacanners on each (except for Mac's) machine.
Now if I had one of them acting like server, I'd save some money on those scanners. You guy's know how to do it? :flowers:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 goldenc08

goldenc08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:52 PM

perhaps you could set up an ftp site on one of the computers to share all of the files

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:12 PM

FTP would definitely do it. Or you can invest in windows 2000 server (799 bucks or 699 oem with hardware) and set up a mac volume that the Macs can connect to and share files with windows. Works fine in some printing outfits I consulted at a while back

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:04 AM

I've read some NAS boxes work fine for file sharing with Macs and PCs mixed, without the need to buy software. No experience with it though.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:38 AM

perhaps you could set up an ftp site on one of the computers to share all of the files

Yes but I don't want to share my stuff with whole world.. That's the biggest reason why I didn't do file sharing. Thanx for suggestion tho.. :thumbsup:

FTP would definitely do it. Or you can invest in windows 2000 server

Hmm... Interesting.. So on Windows 2000 Server I could prevent attacks, intrusions and malware?

I've read some NAS boxes work fine for file sharing with Macs and PCs mixed, without the need to buy software.

Thanx Rimmer, I'll have look.. :flowers:
Thanx guy's for suggestions.. :trumpet: There is so much I still need to learn.. :inlove:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:55 PM

NAS boxes will work. They generally are either linux or windows based and use the samba or nfs protocols. Your macs should be able to use either of them. The problem with a NAS device is they tend to be quite expensive.

Windows 2000 really wont have anything to do with protecting the computers, but if you install a simplistic firewall in front of everything you should be adequately protected

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users