Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Add/Remove button in my add/remove programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 farakhkhan

farakhkhan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:53 AM

I have an acute problem and posted at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/208619/mpfmgr-mpfwiz-mprosafe-msvc80-x86-mwlssafe-mxml/

I have been advised to consult this forum for assistance

Kindly help me

Thanks & best regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

Hi farakhkhan,

I believe Grinler meant for you to post in this forum about your issue with Zone Alarm. Because this forum is for discussing security software. Could you describe in some more detail exactly what the issue is with Zone Alarm? You see a red X over ZA when you close your laptop--what about when you open it? Or can you notice when the X appears during the time that you are logged in to Windows?

I haven't used ZA in years so someone else who does use it should confirm, but if I remember correctly a red X in a circle over the ZA icon in the system tray means that ZA firewall is disabled or not working. Please give as much information as possible.

I'm not sure if Grinler meant to continue helping you with your Add/Remove issue--usually when you have a topic in the malware removal forum you should only post to it until your helper has resolved the issue or closed the topic for whatever reason. I can try to assist about your other issues, but be sure to ask Grinler what he thinks and be sure to post to him the address to this topic.

First, please describe what else is wrong with your Control Panel. A screenshot would be nice.

When did you notice that you had lost the buttons in your Add/Remove applet? Think hard about this. Your logs show that you have been running RegistryBooster fairly often in the last two months. My guess is that RegistryBooster deleted something it shouldn't have and that is why you are having missing buttons in Add/Remove, problems with Control Panel and perhaps could even be responsible for the Zone Alarm issues. So if you can remember if these problems occurred after you had run RegistryBooster, then this would be very helpful in attempting to solve this problem. Registry cleaners in general cause more problems than they solve and it is debatable if they solve any problems whatsoever.

If you do think your problems started after running this reg cleaner, then I hope you have set it to make backups--if possible restore anything that RegistryBooster has deleted and hope that it actually works. Registry backups for these type of programs are often not viable. If they do work and the problem goes away, I would strongly suggest uninstalling RegistryBooster.

Another thing I've seen in you log that might factor in to RegistryBooster being inaccurate is that on your system, Windows is installed in a folder by a name I've never seen before. For XP and above, the Windows system folder is normally C:\WINDOWS\system32. For Win2000 it is normally C:\WINNT\system32--yours is c:\ieawinnt\system32. So could you give some history of the computer you are using, please? Is it a work computer, how old is it and do you know if Windows 2000 was ever installed on it?

If you really need to uninstall something before you get this all straightened out, you might try using Revo Uninstaller
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

When you open this program, it will reproduce the list of installed programs with their icons, much like what you see in Add/Remove. When you double-click on a program's icon, it will run the program's uninstaller just like what happens when you use Add/Remove. It also will show you some leftover registry entries and files that you have the option to delete. Be very careful with the registry section, it sometimes does not expand the folders to the part you want to delete--if you don't recognize the entry as part of the program you are uninstalling then don't allow Revo to delete it. But if you make a mistake, run System Restore immediately--Revo makes a restore point before uninstalling anything you ask it to.

Edited by Papakid, 28 March 2009 - 12:56 PM.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#3 farakhkhan

farakhkhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:18 AM

:thumbsup:
Really great!! Appreciated

The whole problems created by Registry Booster. I restored to my first backup and whole things became normal

Thanks for solving my issue

Thanks again from the bottom of my heart

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

Well, you are welcome and I'm very happy that you got it corrected and that it was fairly easy. :thumbsup:

Now, as mentioned before, I strongly suggest you uninstall RegistryBooster. You have my sympathy if you have already paid for it--if so, you can always ask for your money back.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users