Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Soooo slow!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:23 AM

Hi all,
my wife's computer running on Win XP Home runs so slow now that it really is not worth using it.
The computer was recently Hijacked, but repaired via Grinler's expertise.
However, now everything is soooo slow to load, or shutdown.
Media player will not load, Kaspersky failed to load, and l had ti reinstall it.
Word takes an age to open a document, and continues to freeze the computer. As do many other applications. The computer freezes frequently, often when opening Outlook Express or when viewing web pages, but can freeze anytime.

The hard drive has an 80Gb capacity and has 65Gb free space.
Intel Celeron® CPU 2.40GHz
224 MB of RAM.

If I go into Startup via RUN > MSCONFIG
there seems to be an awful lot of unknowns in there.
Any way of finding out what these are??
And how to get rid, would be helpful please.
I am unable at the moment to get a screenshot of all the items in startup,
but if required l will try again.

If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.
Many thank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:17 AM

More memory would help for a start, under 256mb and your asking for problems. DDR memomy is very cheap 512mb will set you back about 32 and greatly improve your PC performance.

Have you defraged recently?

Got the correct chipset drivers installed?

However it could be you've become reinfected or what you where infected with has corrupted everything.

If performance is as bad as you say I'd just be tempted for format and reinstall.

My own tip would be partition up the the hdd, say leave 15gb free and once you've reinstalled the OS take a image, that way if it all goes wrong in the future it's a 10 min job to restore your hdd image and your back up and running again.

The ultimate bootcd 4 windows has a couple of free tools that will allow you to do this. If you've want to buy some imaging software my recommendation would be Acronis True Image very quick and easy to use.

#3 Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:20 AM

When was your HJT Log analysed?
Have you been running anti-virus, firewall and anti-spyware since your PC was declared clean? If so which ones? (you mentioned Kaspersky)

Also -
Do some basic maintenance:
(These instructions apply to Windows ME and XP, other versions may not have the functions described)
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
    Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

• Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
    Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk:
    Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Reboot and see if there's any improvement.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:17 AM

I'd also run a hdd diagnostic test on your hdd, as it could be a sign that it's failing.

Go to your hdd manufacturers website and download there testing tools. If you don't know who your manufacturer is download Seagate Seatools as this has a general test that will run on any drive.

#5 Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:16 AM

If I go into Startup via RUN > MSCONFIG
there seems to be an awful lot of unknowns in there.
Any way of finding out what these are??

At the top of this page you will see our Startup Database. Click on that and enter the name of the Startup entry to find out what it does and if it can be disabled. You can enter the name of the entry or the file to the extreme right of the line concerning the entry.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users