Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Only Works in Safe Mode?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 r_khan

r_khan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:46 AM

Hello...

At around 7pm i noticed that i was having issues. I have wireless. My wireless connection icon was perfectly fine and connected with great strength, however when i clicked on firefox to go to my homepage, it said page not found. it did the same with internet explorer.

I restarted my computer and tried again...same thing.

Then, i booted my computer in safe mode with networking...my internet is perfect and works fine.

What the heck is going on???

I have Nod 32 Smart security 4 running and do spyware and adaware scans regularly. I have a firewall up too.

I checked device manager to make sure nothing is wrong and there were no problems.

I tried connecting to the internet directly by using my dsl cable in regular mode...still same problem.

please help me. i have so much homework due and i cant afford to loose my internet.

i am running windows vista home premium on a HP dv6812nr laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:14 AM

Recently I've seen a rash of problems caused by internet security apps. Typically this involves programs that manage antivirus, antispyware, and a firewall all in one program.

The "test" for this is to remove the internet security app and see if you can connect. Make sure to have an alternative antivirus available so that you don't become infected while testing.

I have no experience with the NOD32 Smart Security program, so this is all speculation on my part.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:44 AM

boot your computer in normal mode and go to START>RUN> type in MSCONFIG

click selective start up, uncheck load start up items, then click the tab for the start up ITEMS and check only the ones you want loaded then save and exit.
Then restart the computer.
after that try to check your computer internet is working or not.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

Please only use MSCONFIG for testing purposes, and when you're done reset it to normal startup.
We've had some issues with Vista and MSCONFIG posted here, so I'm trying to avoid it's use.

As an alternative, you can use the Software Explorer in Windows Defender to manage startups or you can use the free Autoruns (available here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users