Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Identifying infections

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nonic

Nonic

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:30 AM

I have been reading posts from members seeking assistance in cleaning infections from their computers. I noticied a number of posts have been submitted by members stating they have a particular Trojan/Worm /Virus. Can someone please tell me how to determine if an infection exists in a PC and more importantly how to identify an infection. Thank you.NONIC
Lead Me Not Into Temptation.....I Can Find the Way Myself !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:45 PM

You do not always know if your computer is infected, but here are some warning signs:

1. Your computer running abnormally slow
2. Pop ups that seem to come out of nowhere
3. Unwanted desktop icons suddenly appearing
4. Unknown processes running (You usually need to know your computer well to know if a program is or isn't suppose to be
running)
5. Computer not being able to start up (This is not always due to the computer being infected, but it could be a possibility)
6. Not being able to use internet related programs
7. When you use a browser, you are redirected to a specific, or random websites

There are a number of other ways, but I am short on time atm, and can't list them all.

However I must WARN YOU that just because some of these may be happening to your computer it DOES NOT mean that your computer is necessarily infected. This is just a list of POSSIBLE warning signs.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,806 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:20 PM

Can someone please tell me how to determine if an infection exists in a PC and more importantly how to identify an infection.

Infection identification generally occurs via a security program or by analysis of someone who is familiar with malware removal. One should have ONE up-to-date AntiVirus product and at least 1 up-to-date anti-spyware product with real-time protection.

Scans should be done regularly, at least once a week if not more often. Security products will flag suspicious files and identify them. However, there are also occurrences of false positives.

If you have a file that you are uncertain of, then you can upload the files to Virustotal or Jotti's malware scan or both.

This topic provides information about how to protect yourself from getting infected: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

If you think you might be infected, post a topic in this forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ If you do, be sure to describe any issues you are having. Redirections and pop-ups are two common symptoms of infections. There are others.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Nonic

Nonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks King_Yoshi and Orange Blossom for your respective response. I have sent each of you a PM recording my appreciation. Thank you. NONIC
Lead Me Not Into Temptation.....I Can Find the Way Myself !!!

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,806 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

You're welcome Nonic. :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users