Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't load Firefox

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 taly

taly

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

Well, I've had the new laptop (with cursed Vista) for three days and already there're problems.

I've been using Firefox this evening but now I can't get it to start. There was a window which said Firefox is already running---but it's not---now, even that window doesn't appear; the little "busy circle" spins for thirty seconds then disappears. The task manager shows nothing running. I rebooted with same results. I decided to uninstall/reinstall but add/remove says I can't when Firefox is running---but it's not. It's not, I tell you, it's not.

There are other things I can't yet figure out but I'll leave those until later.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Promethius

Promethius

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:40 PM

in the task manager go to to the processes tab and look for firefox.exe if it is still there then firefox is running the background.

left click on it and click end process and this will stop Firefox.

you then should be able to reopen firefox and it begin to work.

hope this helps

#3 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

in the task manager go to to the processes tab and look for firefox.exe if it is still there then firefox is running the background.

left click on it and click end process and this will stop Firefox.

you then should be able to reopen firefox and it begin to work.

hope this helps

Yes, this did help. Thank you.

Now, however, it started doing it again and this time your solution doesn't work. When I click End Process button a little warning window comes up saying I will lose lose data if I close. I click close but firefox remains in the task manager. I am unable to use firefox until I restart the computer.

Thanks.

#4 youthedog4

youthedog4

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:41 PM

Have you tried doing a system restore?

#5 Raith

Raith

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:22 AM

You have to keep doing it, system restore doesn't work with this. My AIM is set to automatically startup when laptop is turned on, it doesn't always. It says it's running but it's not exactly. Process tab has the .exe as running, just End it and start it again.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:03 AM

If you have Firefox set up to optionally clear private data, and it fails to do so (or you forget to check the box that appears after you close Firefox) you may get that message.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users