Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

browser redirected to unintended site, Unable to download updates for antivirus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 please-help

please-help

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

My OS is windows XP professional. I have Nortal antivirus( trial version) & Malware bytes installed.
My browser is directed to a website other than entered address.
My antivirus software,Malware bytes can't get updates -message I get is " please check if computer is connected to internet"
Also my firewall is turned off after every rebot.
Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Promethius

Promethius

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:09 PM

you a virus that i have come across before.

boot into safe mode (while booting press F8 like crazy)

go into the device manager (right click on my computer and go to manage.) once there go to device manager, click on view (up at the top) and click show hidden devices. On the right hand pane you should now see a section that says non-plug and play drivers. Hit the plus sign and look for the thing that says TDSserv.sys (might be minor spelling but you get the idea). Right click on it and disable it (dont uninstall it).

Reboot the computer into safe mode again and attempt to update malewarebytes, and this should fix your problem (but i would definately download another program superantispyware and run it also just to be safe.

hope this helps if not let me know.

#3 please-help

please-help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:13 AM

I am unable to start in safemode... it freezes in the process

#4 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:23 AM

Moved to a more appropriate forum for some real help!

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

Malwarebytes will not update in safe mode. Safe mode is for troubleshooting and diagnostic purposes.

"While in Safe Mode, only specific programs and files needed to run the operating system are loaded. Some functions, such as connecting to the Internet, will not be active in Safe Mode and a standard video driver will be loaded causing a washed out look and a possible change in resolution. " (from HERE: http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml)

If you need to connect to the internet while in safe mode, choose Safe Mode with Networkingon the boot options screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users