Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I write meta tags?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dingdingding

dingdingding

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:58 PM

Hi all......

I have a website up and it's doing fine. I created it with a WYSIWYG program, but this program has this box where I can write my own meta tags for my pages.....and I did.....but I wrote them while knowing nothing about meta tags.

So today, I decided to mess with my meta tags, and I've done some reading....but I've read different things in different places....and alot of the information kind of contradicted each other.......and so I got completely confused.

What I need is a very basic explanation of what meta tags are, and what I should write in the 'title, description, keyword' area.

I also need to know what I'm supposed to base my title, description, and keywords on.....like I don't even know where to begin writing them.

When I wrote them initially, I just guessed, and I don't know if that has helped or hurt me. Some of my pages show up great in search engines, but other pages....I don't think that I've ever seen them show up. I don't even know anymore.

So could someone please help me? My brain is like mush right now, since I've been plunking away at this all day.

Many thank yous in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

title - the name of the page, or website...
description - a small description of the page, or website...
keyword - Keywords in relation to the page, or website...
All these things is what a search engine bot and or crawler will be looking for, Meta tags pretty much just relay specific information to the search engine, to help users of that search engine to find your website....
Keywords would be words that people will search for, so any words you can think of in relation to your website, or what you offer on your website should go there....
Description would be a small paragraph, or sentence to try and get someone to go to your website, or to influence a person to... Basically it's your catch phrase...

#3 dingdingding

dingdingding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

Firstly, thank you burn1337. Your simple explanations are exactly what I was needing.

But to take it a step further......do my keywords and description both have to contain words from the text on the particular web page that I'm working on? And do my title, keywords, and description all have to have the same words in them? Like:

title: widgets for sale
description: purple widgets for sale
keywords: widgets for sale, great widgets, dingdingding's widgets

I think that I'm really over thinking this. I think I expect this to be much more complicated than it is.

Oh dear.....one more inane question: all of my meta tags for a particular page, need to reference that particular page right? Because when I wrote my meta tags before....I was not writing them with my focus on each page. I have no idea what I was doing before.

#4 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

Well as for a generalized meta tag on each page being the same... something like this would work:
title - Widgets for sale
description - Here at "Your Site Name", we develop and sale widgets for "list a few purposes".
keywords - Widgets, Sale, dingdingding, Widget

Now for having a different Meta tag on each page something more like this would be a good use:
title - Widgets for sale
description - This page is for "Type" of Widgets, please take a look around.
keywords - Widgets, Sale, dingdingding, Widget, "Type", "something else in relation to the page"

Does that help any? or give you any ideas?

#5 dingdingding

dingdingding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

burn1337.......you are awesomeness.....and if my brain weren't so completely worn out right now, I would tell you in glowing adjectives just how amazing your advice is. :thumbsup:

Thank......You......So.....Much!!!!!!!! I am going to work on my site again tomorrow, and I'm going to print out your advice and have it sitting here next to me. You are made of ten zillion kinds of win!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowers:

THANK YOUUUUUU!!!!!!! :trumpet:

#6 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:09 AM

lol Your welcome... Anytime...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users