Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Locate Component Notification

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dianeamaral

dianeamaral

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am currently using Windows XP on my home computer. Today when I logged on, I immediately began receiving an extremely large amount of error notifications such as;

Winlogon.exe-Unable to locate component
This Application has failed to start because msmrvvmcigu.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

rundll.exe-Unable to locate component
This Application has failed to start because msmrvvmcigu.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

firefox.exe-Unable to locate component

These are just to name a few.

It didn't matter what application or file I tried opening, I kept receiving the same error message. I wasn't sure if this was a virus so i scanned my computer with AVG anti virus, it found a few tracking cookies as well as a few adware.

I also used registry mechanic, it found over 2000 problems, in which i then chose the fix it option and it then notified me that all problems were fixed.

Unfortunately, It was not fixed because i keep getting the same error notifications over and over. I've scanned my computer several times today with registry mechanic and every single time, it still finds more problems..not 2000..but roughly around 20 problems.

I'm not sure what else I need to do, Is this a virus or was something accidentally deleted? To my knowledge nothing was deleted..as there are only two of us who use this computer. It's becoming extremely frustrating because i can't open up firefox or internet explorer, however it allows me to open up internet explorer without add ons.

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,779 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.35) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 dianeamaral

dianeamaral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:10 PM

Thanks so much for giving me the heads up on registry cleaners...i`ll give you suggestion a try:)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,779 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

Not a problem. Don't forget to post the MBAM scan results when done.

#5 dianeamaral

dianeamaral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:39 PM

Hi again..

Ok so malwarebytes just finished scanning and it didn't find anything but here is the log for you to view..

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.35
Database version: 1909
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

3/27/2009 10:36:47 PM
mbam-log-2009-03-27 (22-36-47).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 107611
Time elapsed: 16 minute(s), 42 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,779 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

Lets do another scan to see if we find anything else that MBAM may have missed.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. DO NOT use yet.
alternate download link

Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you cannot boot into safe mode, then perform your scans in normal mode.

#7 dianeamaral

dianeamaral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:15 PM

ok great..i'm just on another computer while that one is scanning. What a mission it was just to even open up the software..that notification kept popping up like crazy. At the rate that it's going..most likely i'll put up the results tomorrow but hopefully it won't take too long so i can put it up tonight.

thanks again for all your help, i really appreciate!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,779 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

Not a problem.

#9 dianeamaral

dianeamaral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:37 AM

hi again.

i've encountered another problem now..

I installed the atf cleaner..and followed your directions. I then download and installed the superantispyware and followed your directions as well. It took me over 15 minutes just to open the program because of all the error notifications that were popping up and i'm not even exaggerating. Once i hit scan..it was all over..my computer froze completely..i tried closing it and trying again but it kept saying superantispyware not responding. I tried opening it again several times last night and this morning in safemode as well as in normal mode and it freezes every time.

anymore suggesstions?

thank you!

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,779 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:50 AM

Please download and scan with Dr.Web CureIt.
Follow the instructions here for performing a scan in "safe mode".
If you cannot boot into safe mode, then perform your scan in normal mode.
-- Post the log in your next reply.

#11 seanhasselback

seanhasselback

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:27 AM

Hi, I am having the same problem. We very recently had some trojans on our computer which were identified and removed with avg, and malwarebytes. Specifically Generic13.LNA and Trojan.BHO.

Now I have the same errors coming up during startup and everytime a program is run, except the dll in question is named 'msypmkm.dll' - of course a randomly named file. Possibly the virus is gone and this is just the damage trail?

I also had the same problem with superantispyware, with the hundreds of errors popping up.

I believe this error popup comes up everytime a dll is loaded / when an exe is run, so I suspect the popup insanity of superantispyware is just due to how the program operates.

I created a blank file called msypmkm.dll under C:\windows\system to see what would happen, the popup error changes to:

"Entry Point not found
The procedure entry point roppewsvpegeo could not be located in the dynamic link library msypmkm.dll"

AVG and MalwareBytes now run through a scan without detecting anything.

I just downloaded and DrWeb Cureit in safe mode. The log is attached. It found a bunch of stuff but the problem persists after a reboot to normal mode!

Thanks for your help!
Sean

DrWeb Cureit log:

10-matt_wertz-with_you_tonight.mp3;C:\Documents and Settings\UserXYZ\My Documents\Downloads\Matt_Wertz-Under_Summer_Sun-2008-RVP;Trojan.WMALoader;Cured.;
daemon4123-lite.exe/data007\data001;C:\Documents and Settings\UserXYZ\Desktop\Unused Desktop Shortcuts\unused desktop\daemon4123-lite.exe/data007;Adware.Shopper;;
daemon4123-lite.exe/data007\data002;C:\Documents and Settings\UserXYZ\Desktop\Unused Desktop Shortcuts\unused desktop\daemon4123-lite.exe/data007;Adware.SaveNow.128;;
data007;C:\Documents and Settings\UserXYZ\Desktop\Unused Desktop Shortcuts\unused desktop;Container contains infected objects;;
daemon4123-lite.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\UserXYZ\Desktop\Unused Desktop Shortcuts\unused desktop;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
A0012786.exe\data012;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP162\A0012786.exe;Adware.MyWay;;
A0012786.exe\data013;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP162\A0012786.exe;Adware.MyWay;;
A0012786.exe\data014;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP162\A0012786.exe;Adware.MyWay;;
A0012786.exe;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP162;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
A0012789.exe\data014;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP162\A0012789.exe;Adware.Altnet;;
A0012789.exe;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP162;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
A0013975.EXE;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP167;Tool.GameCrack;Incurable.Moved.;
A0020866.exe\data003;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP167\A0020866.exe;Adware.Idonate;;
A0020866.exe/data005\Webhdll.dll;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP167\A0020866.exe/data005;Adware.WebHancer;;
A0020866.exe/data005\WhAgent.exe;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP167\A0020866.exe/data005;Adware.WebHancer;;
A0020866.exe/data005\whiehlpr.dll;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP167\A0020866.exe/data005;Adware.WebHancer;;
A0020866.exe/data005\whInstaller.exe;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP167\A0020866.exe/data005;Adware.WebHancer;;
A0020866.exe/data005\WhSurvey.exe;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP167\A0020866.exe/data005;Adware.WebHancer;;
data005;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP167;Archive contains infected objects;;
A0020866.exe;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP167;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
A0020883.exe\data195;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP167\A0020883.exe;Program.PrcView.3725;;
A0020883.exe;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP167;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
A0020972.exe\data052;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP167\A0020972.exe;Probably WIN.WORM.Virus;;
A0020972.exe;H:\System Volume Information\_restore{4CD21627-AB23-4E62-B4A0-35ADC8C49FA0}\RP167;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
Cooking Academy 2.exe\settings.exe;H:\_Downloads\Cooking Academy 2\Cooking Academy 2.exe;BackDoor.ProRat.252;;
Cooking Academy 2.exe;H:\_Downloads\Cooking Academy 2;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;

#12 seanhasselback

seanhasselback

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

I have managed to patch up my issue. It is a horrible, horrible solution but it will do for now (I am overseas and can't really afford to do a format at the moment).

As I mentioned, I made a blank file and named it msypmkm.dll, but it complained it couldn't find some procedure. So I learned how to compile a real dll file, which I did and included a function of the required name. And can you believe it, it has stopped bugging me!

I can run firefox and notepad++ (which wouldn't work before) so now I can get back to some business.

I certainly won't be doing any banking on this thing, but considering I have been updating my virus definitions every 15 minutes and it says I'm clean, I don't feel like any of my data is getting sent to any evil web villains.

Diane, if you want me to make you a dll file to fill the hole, let me know and we can work through it (I know your dll file name but I don't know what function name yours had).

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,779 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:37 PM

Welcome to BC seanhasselback

If you have an issue or problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic. Doing that will help to avoid the confusion that often occurs when trying to help two or more members at the same time in the same thread. Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. you are using and the presence of other malware. Further, posting for assistance in someone else's topic is not considered proper forum etiquette.

Thanks for your cooperation.
The BC Staff

#14 seanhasselback

seanhasselback

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

Quietman, apologies for butting into the thread and posting my DrWeb Cureit log.

I believe in some cases it is comforting for people to know somebody else is experiencing the same problem. In fact, dianeamaral's post is the only other similar situation I've been able to find, as I can usually find a solution by searching through forum posts on google, so I think we need to band together on this one!

Additionally it is also useful for others to have comments on what is obviously the same problem all grouped in the same place.

Might I suggest to dianeamaral to check through her previous scan results incase she was infected by the any of the viruses I had been. If this were the case then our issue might be related to the removal of one of these viruses.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,779 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

Hello seanhasselback

If you have an issue or problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic. Doing that will help to avoid the confusion that often occurs when trying to help two or more members at the same time in the same thread. Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. you are using and the presence of other malware. Further, posting for assistance in someone else's topic is not considered proper forum etiquette.

Thanks for your cooperation.
The BC Staff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users