Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overall jerkiness

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mastermaniac117

Mastermaniac117

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:19 PM

I recently had malware trouble thanks to my shared wireless connection (which dies today), and thanks to a very helpful member of this great community, the problem has been mostly taken care of. However, since then I've been having trouble running most of my games. In games that usually have very stable framerates, like Oblivion and Homeworld 2, there has developed a weird kind of jerkiness. For no apparent reason, the games chop constantly, yet, strangely, the framerate itself seems unaffected. It's kind of like something big is running in the background, or something.

What's really frustrating is that these games ran smooth as butter prior to all this malware nonsense. If anyone knows what's going on, I'd love their insights on this.

My specs are as follows:

Windows XP Professional SP2
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ~2.5 Ghz.
1 GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512MB PCIe

Thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Promethius

Promethius

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:53 PM

well if you think something is running in the background....

start the game and while it is chugging along hold down alt and then tab

this will bring you to the desktop

once there go to task manager (or hit ctrl+shift+esc) and see what is using up all your RAM\CPU)

If nothing is there you might be having a problem with the graphics card. I have a bad standing with ATI cards because the fans clog and and die fairly often which of course fries the chips and the card in the process.

hope this helps

#3 Mastermaniac117

Mastermaniac117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:48 AM

Thanks. I was kind of worried that it might be the card, too. But I just got off an hours-long session with the original Operation Flashpoint and had no problems at all. Maybe I'll try reinstalling Oblivion, sans all those add-ons I've let pile on.

#4 Mastermaniac117

Mastermaniac117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:29 AM

Actually, most games work okay. After playing through each of them, I now see that it's really only Oblivion that exhibits the problem. Now that I think of it, maybe Homeworld 2 had a bad frame rate from the beginning. Anyway, I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Oblivion to see if a fresh start would solve the issue, but to no avail. And since all my characters relied on a ton of add-on content, I lost them all for nothing. :thumbsup:

I did notice that the game runs normally with the resolution set to 640 x 480, but c'mon, give me a break. I had it running at 1024 x 768 at 40 - 50 fps before. Man, I'm just about ready to toss this computer in the trash.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:38 PM

Have you tried as Prometheus suggested and checked if you have any memory or processor intensive applications running in the background?

Have you reinstalled the latest graphics driver from ati.com?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 Mastermaniac117

Mastermaniac117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:11 AM

Thanks. I guess I could try reinstalling the drivers. Weird thing is, though, I don't have a problem in clean boot mode. I'd say that means there is something running in the background, dragging the system down. I'd just keep the system in clean boot mode all the time if I knew Windows could handle running in such an environment.

Btw, lol at the quote in your sig. That was a good laugh.

Edited by Mastermaniac117, 30 March 2009 - 08:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users