Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

display change when browser is opened?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 danr

danr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

I noticed that when I open firefox the display is automaticly changed from "windows 7" to "windows 7 basic", when I close it the display changes back to windows 7 again.

Says "A running program isn't compatible with visual elements of windows"

Well I figured it was because I was running FF rather then IE8 so I tried IE8 only to find the same thing happens.

Does this happen to everyone at this point or is it just me?

I lose the fancy preview of the programs that are open when I mouse over their buttons on the taskbar, drops to a plain, simple black box with the program's name in white text in it.

When a browser is open it is the only time the issue occurs.

No big deal and I know its not "ready" yet, just wondered if everyone has a issue of a similar nature with it or not at this point.

Edited by danr, 27 March 2009 - 07:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:01 AM

Nope, don't have that problem on either of my Windows 7 systems. I have some visual issues on my laptop, but that's flickering rather than an aero type thing.

What are you using for a video card? What drivers do you have installed?
What version of the beta are you using?

I'd suspect that this was a video issue - either incompatible hardware or drivers. But that's just speculation at this point.
Also, please post the make and model of your system so that we can review the specs.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 danr

danr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

Hi usasma,

I'd suspect that this was a video issue - either incompatible hardware or drivers.

I was wondering that myself but I got to thinking about it and it didn't act like that the first time I had it installed. I reinstalled it on a different hard drive, acually about the forth time I've reinstalled it. Trying it with various hardware configurations, seems to effect how well setup goes.

I remember having FF open and commenting on another board on how much I did like the taskbar functionality. It did display the previews of every program I had open and every tab I had open in ff.

Aero is working, transparency in the windows is working like it should. I can open as many programs as I wish and it continues to work. Gives me the preview of all the programs open with the mouse over on the taskbar buttons and functions as it should. Only time it drops to "windows 7 basic" is when a browser is open, I close it and it reverts right back to "windows 7".

Aero works fine in Vista, kinda made me wonder if it was a windows 7 issue.

I notice IE8 tends to freeze up on me, sometimes needing a restart to correct it but not always.

Ok system spec's as follows, no brand name (I put it together)

Mainboard : mach speed P4MSD-800D2

Chipset : VIA P4M800CE

Processor : Intel Pentium D 940 @ 3200 MHz

Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Hard Disk : WDC (60 GB) IDE Windows 7
Hard Disk : WDC (80 GB) IDE Windows Vista business
Hard Disk : Maxtor (82 GB) IDE storage/back up
Hard Disk : Maxtor (100 GB) IDE storage/back up
Hard Disk : VIA (160 GB) 2-80gb WDC SATA, RAID 1 array windows XP pro

DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M
CD-Rom Drive : HP CD-Writer+ 9100

Monitor Type : Acer H233H - 23 inches

Network Card : Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd) 802.11b/g Wireless Controller

Network Card : VT82C570 MV IDE Controller VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

More then needed here but was easy to copy paste it all in one shot!

This setup is a couple three years old now, I'm not a gamer but do want to upgrade my video setup.
However I don't want to upgrade the AGP type card this one uses though, new system in the near future wouldn't use it.

Thanks for confirming it is just "me", knowing that I may be able to correct it. Not real concern with it though, not at this point.

#4 danr

danr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

Ok I figured it out, the "Desktop manager" was disabled. I couldn't figure out what the problem was as I was running the trouble shooter with the browsers closed.

Well when I'd do that the system would pass, green check marks for everything. I just happen to run it again with ff open and it found the problem, it enabled the DTM.

Now the wisual theme is not reduced when I open a browser.

Oh and to answer your other question, What version of the beta are you using? says build 7000 during start up.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

Well, it appears that you've fixed it yourself! Great work!
Thanks for letting us know, as it'll help others who have the same issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users