Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet became very slow a few days; been unable to fix.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sextooth

Sextooth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

Alright so this past weekend my internet speeds dropped by quite a bit. To give you an idea before when I would do a speed test (I use www.speedtest.net, if that matters) I would get about 2.8 Mb/s download and .8 Mb/s upload with a ping of about 30-50 ms. Now when I do it I get about 1.0 Mb/s download and .5 Mb/s upload and a ping of about 500 ms. I've tried doing the speed test using different servers and also tried www.speakeasy.net and still get roughly the same results. The one exception to this rule is when I am on www.speedtest.net and I select the server in Greensboro, NC I get a ping of about 40ms, though the download and upload speeds are roughly the same (I'm the western part of VA in the valley; about 45 minutes NW from Charlottesville; again not sure if it matters). Also when I run my computer in safe mode with networking and did the speed test my speeds are better, about 2.1 Mb/s download and .6 Mb/s upload, and the ping is also an astonishing 5ms (didn't think that was really possible when you consider the servers I did these tests on were all ~100-200 miles away), so I'm not sure if that ping is accurate or not.

I contacted my ISP (Shentel NTC) and they sent a guy over who after running a few tests told me that it was my machine and not the ISP. None of my roommates are having these issues so I'm inclined to believe him. I also tried plugging a different computer into my wall jack and with that computer I got about 2.7 Mb download and .8 Mb upload with good ping.

I've tried updating all of my system's drivers but that did not help. I've run virus/spyware scans (also did the scans in safe mode as well) but they didn't come up with anything. I used Ad-Aware, NOD 32, Spy-bot S&D, and Windows Defender to do the scans. I used a program called Pcpitstop optimize that the ISP guy recommended to me and while it is a nifty program it did not fix the problem (I also tried one other one called SpeedUpMyPC). I've tried putting the Ethernet cable both in the on-board Ethernet card and through a little USB-to-Ethernet adapter that I have. Both produce the same results when I run the speed test.
I guess a couple other things I should mention is that I use Windows Vista, am connected to the internet through cable and do not use a router; I'm plugged directly into the wall.

I apologize for this post for being long and wordy, but I just wanted to let you know everything I have to tried to fix this. Thanks in advance for all your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolfnet

Wolfnet

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:04 PM

Personally I would download one of the better network meters for the vista sidebar. At least then you will have a desktop view of traffic as it comes and goes. It may be that something else is hogging the bandwidth, and that would show you a baseline usage.

More importantly, what antivirus are you using and is it and your Vista up to date?

Also helpful would be knowing what you were doing before it slowed down (cause & effect).

I'm not saying for sure that any of this is the cause or will help, but it might give you a better idea of where to start looking.

#3 Sextooth

Sextooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

The antivirus I use is NOD 32, I just checked windows update and everything was good there. What I was doing when it happened (I can't pin the exact time but it was around this time when I noticed it slowing down) was when I was searching for an alternative to ruckus.com; a place where you could dl music for free legally (they went under a couple months ago). Some of the sites I found were more then a little sketchy. When I noticed the slow down my first thought was spy ware, which is I why I did all those scans.

Also I don't use the vista sidebar but I do like your suggestion about using it to monitor traffic; do you happen to have any recommendations for a good network meter to use (sorry I know very little about the sidebar)?

Thanks for your help.

#4 Wolfnet

Wolfnet

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

Well you could always just bring up the task manager and look at network traffic, but it's pretty vague. Too bad about sidebar because when used sensibly it can give you a fantastic systems monitor.

It really sounds like something is taking up the network that you can't see.

#5 RJM1

RJM1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:08 PM

Alright so this past weekend my internet speeds dropped by quite a bit. To give you an idea before when I would do a speed test (I use www.speedtest.net, if that matters) I would get about 2.8 Mb/s download and .8 Mb/s upload with a ping of about 30-50 ms. Now when I do it I get about 1.0 Mb/s download and .5 Mb/s upload and a ping of about 500 ms. I've tried doing the speed test using different servers and also tried www.speakeasy.net and still get roughly the same results. The one exception to this rule is when I am on www.speedtest.net and I select the server in Greensboro, NC I get a ping of about 40ms, though the download and upload speeds are roughly the same (I'm the western part of VA in the valley; about 45 minutes NW from Charlottesville; again not sure if it matters). Also when I run my computer in safe mode with networking and did the speed test my speeds are better, about 2.1 Mb/s download and .6 Mb/s upload, and the ping is also an astonishing 5ms (didn't think that was really possible when you consider the servers I did these tests on were all ~100-200 miles away), so I'm not sure if that ping is accurate or not.

I contacted my ISP (Shentel NTC) and they sent a guy over who after running a few tests told me that it was my machine and not the ISP. None of my roommates are having these issues so I'm inclined to believe him. I also tried plugging a different computer into my wall jack and with that computer I got about 2.7 Mb download and .8 Mb upload with good ping.

I've tried updating all of my system's drivers but that did not help. I've run virus/spyware scans (also did the scans in safe mode as well) but they didn't come up with anything. I used Ad-Aware, NOD 32, Spy-bot S&D, and Windows Defender to do the scans. I used a program called Pcpitstop optimize that the ISP guy recommended to me and while it is a nifty program it did not fix the problem (I also tried one other one called SpeedUpMyPC). I've tried putting the Ethernet cable both in the on-board Ethernet card and through a little USB-to-Ethernet adapter that I have. Both produce the same results when I run the speed test.
I guess a couple other things I should mention is that I use Windows Vista, am connected to the internet through cable and do not use a router; I'm plugged directly into the wall.

I apologize for this post for being long and wordy, but I just wanted to let you know everything I have to tried to fix this. Thanks in advance for all your help.

When are you running these test? It could be that it is your ISP that is the problem and not your network. See if the speed slow down is at the same time each day. That might help you a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users