Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Drops power at windows loading screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

I have a PC that started shutting down (just a cold loss of power) at the windows loading screen. the computer would boot up in "safe mode with networking" but not in "safe mode". I get no error messages, see no blue screen moments before power failure, nothing. I have tried running a OS repair by booting from a XP CD and using the repair console(i guess that might be better called the disk check, dskchk /r), repairing the OS by booting from the XP CD and choosing to repair the windows installation instead of overwriting the existing install. when i tried to repair it the second time the system again drops power at one point in the repair. after that happened a few times i just formated the hard drive and reinstalled clean, or i tried too. In the middle of the reinstall right after i enter the owner name, aria code, and windows product key, power failure again. I have tried replacing the power supply with a known good PS, removing the PCI-E video and running on the on-board(which was never used just in favor of the PCI-E card), removed all other peripherals but the CD drive and hard drive with no change. Even replaced the RAM with still no change. There is no time frame involved in the power failure, it can set at one point for hours with no problem or be logged into "safe mode with networking" and used for long stretches of time with no power loss.

I am going to try using a different hard drive (the thought just hit me when i saw a old one sitting on the table :thumbsup: ) though i don't have very high hopes for that solution.
anyone with thoughts on this?? i hope i don't have to trash the MB its only a year+ old :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

Honestly...it sounds like a power supply or overheating issue.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Louis

#3 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

thanks for the reply, though I'm sure its not a power supply problem as i have replaced the power supply with a new tested power supply. I am fairly sure its not a heat issue as it has sat in the windows install screen waiting for a windows key for well over 2 hours and had no trouble yet in moments after I enter the key it drops, and before i could log into safe mode for hours at a time with no trouble. I have also cleaned the inside very well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users