Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32.Vitro - Can this problem be fixed?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brushstroke

Brushstroke

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:39 PM

I've been looking around a few sites for awhile now and I now realize that this Vitro is a relatively new virus and I'm not alone in getting infected by this beast. Apparently it's a derivative of the Virut virus. My other computer is in the shop now and I'm running my old Windows 98 PC until they call when it's ready (which they said would be in a few days). I wanted to get a bit more information about this virus though.

A friend of mine got it on my PC somehow (entirely by accident), and he kept on telling me "Hey, hey, your anti-virus is picking something up!!! A lot of it...!" And so I came over there to find Vitro apparently infecting file after file after file. I got all these Avast! alerts and everything that popped up, I sent to the Virus Chest but they kept popping up. After a few seconds I just decided to do a force shutdown, disconnected the internet, and unhooked the computer. It's now in the shop.

Has anyone dealt with Virut/Vitro? What can be done to remedy the problem?

...and who the hell made this monster? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iisjman07

iisjman07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

I'm not too sure about the 'Vitro' virus you speak of, but Virut is one of the worst peices of malware you can get. It infects nearly all executables on the computer with either malicous code, or random data. Also, there's thousands of variants now, so few can be cleaned. Once infected it searches for the exe's, it infects system files with basically means next time you start up your pc, it may not start up at all.... Most people who clean infected computer believe it's alot easier just to backup all the important non-infected files and reformat the pc...

Edited by iisjman07, 27 March 2009 - 03:57 PM.

#3 Brushstroke

Brushstroke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

I'm not too sure about the 'Vitro' virus you speak of, but Virut is one of the worst peices of malware you can get. It infects nearly all executables on the computer with either malicous code, or random data. Also, there's thousands of variants now, so few can be cleaned. Once infected it searches for the exe's, it infects system files with basically means next time you start up your pc, it may not start up at all.... Most people who clean infected computer believe it's alot easier just to backup all the important non-infected files and reformat the pc...

Yeah. I think that's what they plan to do in the shop I sent it to. And my PC did start up, but every time I would try to log on, I would immediately be logged off.

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:16 PM

Hi Brushstroke,

Sorry to hear you caught the Virut family bug--yes it is almost always fatal. One of the best malware fighters out there has blogged about it--you might find this interesting: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/MiekiemoesB...s-throwing.html

Edit to add:
This thing is the best argument I can think of for making bakups of your important data. I hope you didn't lose anything and/or the shop can salvage what they can.

Edited by Papakid, 28 March 2009 - 01:19 PM.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users