Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Memory Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Woodmouse18

Woodmouse18

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:10 PM

I am running a PC with Vista Home Premium, Intel Dual Core Processor 2.66GHz, 4Mb Ram, a 256Mb nVidia GeForce 8600 GT Graphics Card with two 22" monitors. All was running fine, and then one morning, after running a game (Flight Sim X, Silent Hunter or X-Plane) I experienced the following . . . . Good frame rates for about 2 minutes, then it drops and the screen display judders for about 4 minutes then it runs smooth again for another 30 seconds or so, then judders again. This continues until I am fed up. What can be happening to my system? I have checked for viruses, defragged, run task manager on one monitor and run applications on the other to see if any other processors are 'jumping' in - but nothing. It feels like the memory gets full up with information, slowly clears itself and then gets clogged up again. I am concerned because as I say it was running perfectly OK for the past 16 months. This problem started about 2 weeks ago. I look forward to hearing from anyone who could point me in the right direction. Thanks, John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Promethius

Promethius

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

sounds like your graphics card is going bad.

If you are confident enough to open up the system, i would look to make sure that the graphics card is seating properly, if it has a fan make sure that it is spinning (on a side note if you have an ATI graphics card i would bet money that the fan has died on it).

Your problem could be your system memory (which im sure you meant 4 GB of RAM not 4 MB). If the graphics card seems to be fine then i would download Mem tester from microsoft's website and run it. If you have problems with that reply to this and we can help you out with it.

Try these things and if the problem persists I will mention some other things.

I would bet money that your graphics card is the problem tho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users