Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older Maxtor One Touch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jwhit

jwhit

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

I have an older Maxtor One touch external which has been quite reliable for years (and is still going strong) but am wondering if anyone knows a way to "disable" the one touch hardware side of it and simply use it as an external hard drive. My problem is this: I have several external drives, both USB and 1394. A free agent pro 500gig usb (only for main disc inc. image daily backups, no issues), a 750g sata to 1394 ext enclosure for movie storage and burning (no issues), a little 3.5 60g USB for misc. portable (no issues) and two external DVD burners one USB and one 1394. The maxtor1394 (its actually both, usb and firewire, but is on 1394) will lock up the system with the other two running. Remove it from the system and no problem with the other two, it might be many things but I've tried several and it seems to be tied to the "front panel" loader in sytem devices which I can't seem to get rid off. Any thoughts or ideas out there? Sorry, also two internal drives, 250g and 160gig plus two internal burners. XPsp3, 2.4g processor, 1g ram, system is very clean and optimized for its age. I use a lot of programs, but it's never had a virus or spy/malware infection.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:00 PM

Remove it from the enclosure...attach directly to system...find out if it's the enclosure or the drive.

Louis

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:21 PM

I have an older Maxtor One touch external which has been quite reliable for years (and is still going strong) but am wondering if anyone knows a way to "disable" the one touch hardware side of it and simply use it as an external hard drive.

Definitely YES, when it's new. When I got it, the instructions said something about automated backup system included. I formatted the whole drive NTFS and it functions as a normal, empty, external drive. Nothing special runs, nothing eats up computer resources and works fine as a plain old drive. Standard windows drivers work fine in recognizing the drive.

Once it's filled with data, you have to offload the data, so you can format.

As far as the conflict with other drives - perhaps you can disable in services the software that runs when that drive is connected. Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Find the service responsible. Stop it. Then Disable it. Hopefully, next time you plug in the drive the service won't run.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

Remove it from the enclosure...attach directly to system...find out if it's the enclosure or the drive.

Louis

Maybe. The one I have can't easily be opened without doing serious damage.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:11 PM

Well...I don't think that we are talking about a drive which is currently useable on the system.

As for damaging the enclosure...again, the enclosure is not necessary for the drive to function if the drive is not using a USB 2.0 port...damaging the enclosure just means that another enclosure may need to be procured...if the drive itself actually functions.

An unuseable drive in an enclosure...is less preferable in my world. I would find out if it's the drive or the enclosure.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users