Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building my own PC

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:33 PM

I'm planning to build my own system with a very limited budget. My needs don't require a hard core gaming system. Basically what I need is at least 80G of HDD, fast and heat resistant processor, and dvd-rw. I also need a system that can cope up with softwares that makes your system slow (softwares such as Adobe Photoshop). I also prefer SATA to be the platform of my system.

Here's a list that I prepared:

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual COre E2140
1MB L2 Cache, EM64T, 800MHz 1.6GHz

Motherboard: ???

Memory: Kingston 2GB DDR2 667 / PC5300

Case: FRONTIER FRONTIER PARADISE (PD16M)
3 Bays ATX Mid Tower Case w/ 500WATTS Power Supply, 2USB Port

HDD: Western Digital 80G 8MB 7200rpm

Video Card: ???

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S203N DVD-Writer w/ Lightscribe

Please check if the components that I've chosen is good enough. I haven't chosen anything for the motherboard and video card because I don't know how to pick the right one. Are there any other important components that I missed?

Here's what I usually do with the PC:
  • Surfing the net
  • Photo editing
  • Play some multiplayer online games
  • Edit videos and musics using Windows Movie Maker
  • (PC runs for aprox. 20 hrs / day) :huh:
I almost forgot, I would be using Windows XP and AVG Anti Virus. . . if that would be a factor. :thumbsup:

Edited by cosmic_sniper05, 27 March 2009 - 12:35 PM.

Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

If I were doing a low budget build here is what I'd go with,

CPU
Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116072

Motherboard
MSI G31M3-L V2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813130217

[I actually have 1. It works great & is VERY upgradable so if y6ou get a better C2D or quad it will run it.]

Memory
A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211066

Video Card
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4650

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102805

Hard drive
Seagate Barracuda 160GB 7200 RPM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148397

[I don't use WD because from my expierence they haqve a high failure rate]

You didn't mention one of the most important components, the Power Supply !

I would get a deveny PSU with at least 450 Watts, preferably more.

The PSU is the 1 thing you DON'T want to cheap out on.
EVERYTHING in a computer connects to & depends on it one way or another.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:54 PM

Overall a good lineup, I do have some suggestions though. First, please tell us your budget so we know what to work with. Second, depending on how long you intend to keep this PC, it may be a good idea to up the RAM to 4GB. Photo and movie editing will certainly benefit from the increased amount, movie editing more so. I would get a hard drive from either Western Digital or Seagate, my failure rate with Seagate drives is higher. Both make very good drives, though. Third, I agree with fairjoe in not cutting corners with the power supply. Most PSU's that come with the case aren't that good, I suggest purchasing one separately. Good manufacturers include Corsair, PC Power, and Silverstone. As for your choice of operating systems, you're going to need a 64-bit OS if you want to use 4GB or more of RAM. In 32-bit, you can install 4GB but you'll only be able to use 3 to 3.5GB depending on your configuration. Also, be aware that Microsoft is planning on discontinuing mainstream support for XP on April 14.

3939.png

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

"Most PSU's that come with the case aren't that good, I suggest purchasing one separately"

I'm not real big on fancy or expensive cases.
All they do is keep my components in 1 place & most of the dirt off of them.
I go for a decent inexpensive case without a PSU & spend rthe $ on the power supply.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:01 AM

I'm not real big on fancy or expensive cases.
All they do is keep my components in 1 place & most of the dirt off of them.
I go for a decent inexpensive case without a PSU & spend rthe $ on the power supply.

I'm the same way too, to a point. I don't want a flimsy case, but I don't need one with LED's or windows that really stand out. I typically go for full-ATX towers for the depth and thermal tolerances. I also aim for aluminum cases first since they weigh less than steel and are often of higher quality, but are more expensive. As for the visual appeal of the case, that's a personal call, I find simple but elegant cases like the COSMOS very appealing.

Edited by DJBPace07, 31 March 2009 - 02:26 PM.

3939.png

#6 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:41 AM

thanks for the reply...

My budget is about Php 12,000 - 15,000 / $267 - 333. I don't expensive builds, just one that would fit my needs. If possible I would like to keep my computer for about 5 yrs.

I forgot to mention that my budget includes the printer, UPS, mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Is that possible?

By the way, I live in the Philippines. Some components might not be available here. But if there are online shops that accommodates free shipping here, then it's good!
:thumbsup:

About the build given by fairjoe... is that a lot better than the one I gave? (considering my needs and budget limitation) :huh:

Edited by cosmic_sniper05, 28 March 2009 - 01:10 AM.

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:46 AM

"$267 - 333.
I forgot to mention that my budget includes the printer, UPS, mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Is that possible?"

Using the least expensive parts you can find that isn't do-able.

The reason I changed the CPU is the Pentium Dual Core E2140 is no longer available new [here].

I upped the hard drove from 80 to 160GB because ,by the prices I got, for less then a $10. diffence the size is doubled.

The motherboard I suggesred supports 800MHz memory & the price for it is pretty much the same as 667MHz.

#8 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:07 PM

Actually I don't have much knowledge when it comes to specifications of processors. I compared the specs of Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz with that of Intel Pentium Dual COre E2140 and I think the former is better but it's also a lot more expensive. You've mentioned that the processor I chose is not available there. But, because it's still available here, would it work if I'll be using it with the components that you've listed?

Regarding the HDD... yes I think it would be better if I would use Seagate Barracuda 160GB 7200 RPM rather than Western Digital 80G 8MB 7200rpm because with twice the size the price is really reasonable. I even found one online that is cheaper that Western Digital 80G 8MB 7200rpm that is available here.

Edited by cosmic_sniper05, 28 March 2009 - 01:08 PM.

#9 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

Actually I don't have much knowledge when it comes to specifications of processors. I compared the specs of Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz with that of Intel Pentium Dual COre E2140 and I think the former is better but it's also a lot more expensive. You've mentioned that the processor I chose is not available there. But, because it's still available here, would it work if I'll be using it with the components that you've listed?

Regarding the HDD... yes I think it would be better if I would use Seagate Barracuda 160GB 7200 RPM rather than Western Digital 80G 8MB 7200rpm because with twice the size the price is really reasonable. I even found one online that is cheaper that Western Digital 80G 8MB 7200rpm that is available here.

Edited by cosmic_sniper05, 28 March 2009 - 01:16 PM.

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

The Dual Core E2140 is on the list of supported CPU's for the motherboard I suggested so , yes, it will work.

Here is the CPU list for the G31M3-L V2 I suggested.

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=pr...mp;maincat_no=1

BTW, you seem to be on a pretty tight budget.
I don't know what the E2140 costs but you might consider one of the newer Conroe L Celerons.

I built a unit using the 1.8 Celeron 430 Conroe-L 1.8GHz [$40. with free shipping here & comes with a heatsink/fan]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116039

I was actually impressed with how fast it is !

Another thing to consider,

The G31M3-L V2 has pretty decent onboard video so you could use that & get a video card later.

#11 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

I'm back!

I have made some modifications with the components that I chose. Please evaluate my choice.

Processor:
Intel Pentium Dual COre E2140
1MB L2 Cache, EM64T, 800MHz 1.6GHz

Mother Board:
MSI G31M3-L V2 LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Retail

Memory:
Kingston 2GB DDR2 667 / PC5300

Case:
Rosewill R223-P-BK

Power Supply:
Rosewill RP550 550W ATX V1.3/ EPS12V Power Supply
Retail

HDD
Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
cache: 8MB

Optical Drive:
LG GH22NS30 DVD-RW
22x w/o lightscribe - OEM

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:33 PM

Good choices, though I would go for a standard ATX motherboard due to thermal issues. Micro-ATX boards are really intended for small PC's or HTPC's. I would also aim for a hard drive with a larger cache if I could afford it, perhaps a 32MB one. Don't forget that you need to also factor in the cost of the operating system. That computer will not last five years, you will need to update the CPU eventually. Since, according to your profile and what you've said, you're in the Philippines, Newegg and TigerDirect will not ship to addresses there.

3939.png

#13 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

A few years back when almost everything was a "add-in" card, [video,sound,LAN,modem, etc] full ATX boards with a lot of add-in slots were almost neccessary.

Since motherboards now come with pretty much everything onboard a bunch of PCI slots aren't really neccessary so "mico-ATX" became popular.

Since it costs less to make a smaller motherboard the manufacturers can sell them for less.

As for your build, the only thing I'd suggest changing is the memory.
You can probably get faster PC6400 [800MHz] for about the same price as the PC5300 [667MHz]

#14 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

Pardon me for butting in and suggesting something different, but since your building on a limited budget I would like to mention that AMD processors are usually cheaper.

I use AMD on 4 of my 5 machines at home, and while I know some will disagree with me, IMO AMD is better worth than Intel.

Since I don't see that you have a lot of expansion cards there, and that you're not planning on hardcore gaming, I think you could do with a slightly less powerful PSU.

Those are what I went with when I built my recent PC, on a limit budget as well.

Just my 2 cents ;)

#15 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

"I would like to mention that AMD processors are usually cheaper."

That's because you get what you pay for, a cheap CPU. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users