Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading in Win98

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Markil

Markil

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:21 AM

I'm having a strange problem. I use w2k, friend has 98. Ive been trying to help him clean up his machine, Already found 11 viruses. While trying to download Dustbuster xp, I noticed the download was appearing as a jpg. I tried downloading various freeware. All others come down fine. I downloaded and installed Spybot S&D and Spyblaster no problem. Went back to try Dustbuster XP and got the same jpg. I tried downloading from 3 different sites. Same problem. I downloaded a download manager and installed it - no problem. Used it to try Dustbuster, same thing again. This the probably the weirdest thing I have encountered so far. Does anyone have a suggestion for this problem? Thanks for your time. Markil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,543 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:23 PM

Do the following. Delete the file. Thendo this:

This process will clean out your Temp files and your Temporary Internet Files. Please do both steps:

Step 1:Delete Temp Files
To clean out your temp files, click on Start and then run, and type %temp% and press the ok button.

This should open up the temp directory that your machine uses. Please delete all files that are found there. If you get an error when deleting a file, skip that file and delete all the others. If you had trouble deleting a file, reboot into Safe Mode and follow this step again. You should now be able to delete all the files.

Step 2: Delete Temporary Internet Files
Now I want you to open up Internet Explorer, and click on the Tools menu and then Internet Options. At the General tab, which should be the first tab you are currently on, click on the Delete Files button and put a checkmark in Delete offline content. Then press the OK button. This may take quite a while, so do not be alarmed with how long it takes. When it is done, your Temporary Internet Files will now be deleted.

#3 Markil

Markil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2004 - 11:41 PM

Thanks Grinler, Ill give it a try when I get back to school Monday. Ill let ya know how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users