Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINXP Network Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kimber1911

Kimber1911

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

I would appreciate any help that can be offered. I have an ongoing problem wuth WINXP. The problem existed with SP2 and now both machines have SP3. I have two computer on a LinkSys wired router. I am able to access the router through both and they show up on the DHCP table. From computer 1 I am able to ping computer 2, but I cannot see it as a member of my workgroup. From computer 2, I am unable to ping or see computer 1.

I have tried the following: diable windows firewall, ensured TCP/IP has bios enabled, netclient installed, ensured firewall software allows for valid range of IP addresses, auto IP renewal, ensured administrative services routing is disabled, tried winsoc fix, file and printer sharing enabled and associated drives are shared and a few other things I'm sure I've forgotten.

The strange thing that occurred is that I was able to see computer 1 in the workgroup from computer 2 but never from computer 1. Then on computer 1, after I was able to see computer 2 and the shared file/folders for about a minute. When I went back to computer 2, I could no longer see computer 1. Now I can only see each computer as the sole member of the workgroup. During one instance the router assigned 192.168.117 to computer 2, of the four devices connected it had always been 192.168.1.100. I rebooted the machine and now it is 192.168.1.103 and computer 1 is 192.168.100.

Any ideas, please ....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

You might try enabling the NetBIOS protocol for each system on the network.

My home network would not function properly until I did so. Once I enabled it on each system, my problems disappeared.

This is addition to the TCP/IP protocol.

Louis

#3 Kimber1911

Kimber1911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:55 AM

When you say NetBios Function, do you mean checking the NetBios box after selecting properties of TCP/IP and navigating to the WINS tab under adavnced properties? Or does your idea involve other actions?

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:29 AM

I think he means on the wins screen change it to enable netbois over tcp/ip

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:15 PM

The same way that you can enable TCP/IP...right-clicking on Properties for the connection.

Then click Install/Protocol...select NetBIOS, click Add...click out of those windows and it's done.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users