Well, so far so good. After using system restore and getting my TCP IP settings back the way they were, the repair function was clearing NetBT. In the process I took a look at things I had unchecked in MSCONFIG Starttup and queried the 'net for an explanation for those I couldn't identify. One was malware (iesetupi) and I downloaded SDFix and ran it in Safe Mode per instructions. Net BT is still clearing and maybe, yes hopefully, that problem is solved.
On a different matter, itt was hard to bring up the home page on IE7, and even more difficult to access a site with a link brought up by the search engine. I downloaded IE8 and it is bringing up the home page, but still have to click on refresh, sometimes more than once to bring up a linked site. Not a big problem but an aggravation.
There is an old guy at the keyboard at http://wss.selfip.net
. Thanks for your help. I think the utility "stuck" even if I did use restore. In other words I think it was actually the "fix"