Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Maximizing my Windows

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 p12m8s7

p12m8s7

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:42 AM

I hope I explain this good enough so that others can understand, if not sorry. If you think you can help please respond or email me. I recently did a driver update to my NVIDIA graphics card, because my monitor kept shutting off "auto detect analog - going into powersaver mode". After updating that driver it did fix the monitor problem, but now I can't view most windows maximized. I have a 22" monitor and they don't even cover half the screen. I know it went from a 64 bit to a 32 bit. I have tried to change the resolution and DPI, but it does not work, only makes text and icons larger, does nothing for the windows I am viewing. I am running on Vista. This has been a real pain, my children play on Webkinz World and they have been effected, now their pages are too small to do certain things. The square maximize tab does not work. If I click F11 to do a full screen, it is still half, it just takes away the tool bars. I have tried to do a system restore, back to the point before I updated the driver, but when I do that Internet Explorer encounters a problem and has to shut down. I am some what good with computers (no pro) and thought this was easy to fix, but it has proved otherwise. If anyone can help, my children and I will be very appreciative. I love this site, I have used it numerous times, everyone is always so helpful. Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks.

Shannon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 K-Pock

K-Pock

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:46 AM

Is it just Internet Explorer that won't maximize, or is it any window?

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:27 PM

hi,,, try this,,, right click on an empty part of the desktop and select personalize,,, then select display settings then below where it says identify monitors there is the make and modle of your monitor,,,, about half way down,,,, below this are 2 boxes,,,, make sure the one that says "Extend the desktop onto this monitor" has a check mark in the box,,,,,,, click apply and ok,,, then close all windows,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 p12m8s7

p12m8s7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

not just limited to IE it's other windows. I do not have the option to "Extend the desktop onto this monitor", I wish i did, then maybe this problem could be fixed instead it reads: Dell E228WFP on NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430. This is driving me crazy, please help!!!

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:49 PM

hi,,, look at your pm's and see if that works,,, if not then all i can think of is its the scerrn resolution,,, look on the laptop makers site for your screen esolution and change it to what they say,,,,here's how,,, right-click anywhere on your desktop, and select Properties. From here, access Display Properties, Settings. In the Screen Resolution area, adjust the slider to the specifications you found in your monitorís documentation. Click the Apply button. This should resize your screen image to the correct size for your new monitor. Once you are satisfied with the way your screen looks, click the OK button.
hope this gets it :huh:
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 p12m8s7

p12m8s7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:38 PM

Did that too, the resolution is 1280 X 1024, if I lower it, all it does is make the icons large, and if I raise it, it makes them smaller, and neither helps the windows I view. Like with my internet home page, it is just in the middle of my screen and the sides are plain white, before I updated the driver the homepage extended the whole page. I am at a loss here, it's driving me crazy. I have wrote the driver manufactuer, but I won't hold my breath on a response or solution. Thanks guys, anyone have any other suggestions, let me know. Thanks.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

I suspect it's either a setting on the monitor, or it's an issue with a monitor driver. Try updating the monitor drivers and checking the manual for the monitor for settings.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 p12m8s7

p12m8s7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

Well I didn't think it was a monitor issue, because everything was fine with the monitor and the viewing before I updated the Graphics driver. I did check any way and there is no updated driver for this monitor. So I am still back to square one, not being able to view windows in their full stretched out across my screen state. UGH, I have ever rolled back the driver update, no change. I have also did another system restore, still no change. I am beginning to give up hope!!!

#9 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:46 AM

hi,,, you say this happend after a driver update,,,, sometimes you dont need to use the driver updates if everything is ok ,,,, i dont install a driver update to any of my hardware if its functioning correctly,,,, this gives you the option in the futer if you hit issues,,,, i would surgest that you roll back the driver for your gfx card,,, go back to the driver previously used for this card and see if its ok,,, if so then stick with it as there is probably an issue with your card and the new driver,,,, when they relese another driver that proceeds the one thet does not work then go streight to that one and try it,,,,
go to device manager and click on the gfx card then in drivers tab look for "roll back driver"
good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#10 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:08 PM

UPDATE,,, the op ,,pm'd me and said that my last post did not work,,, here is my reply,,

hi,,, this mite sound daft but ,,,,, in the bottom rignt hand corner there will be a triangle with little dots in it,,, if not then click on the maxamize button then look,,,, put the coursor on this and it will turn into a 2 headed arrow,,,, then left click holding it down and drag the window untill its bigger,,,, click at the top of the open window and hold down and move the window to the top and left,,, then click and drag out the window again from the bottom right on the triangle thing to make the window fit the screen,,, i hope this makes sense,,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users