Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

power supply dead?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dirbmoz

dirbmoz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:01 AM

I'm trying to get my wife's PC to work. We had a brown out last night and now the computer won't do anything, I suspect it's the power supply, but I haven't done this in a while so I'm not 100% certain. There's no lights coming on, no monitor signal, no fan, no activity at all.

It's an eMachine T3418, and I'm wondering how would I figure out which power supply to buy?

It's not completely stock, we upgraded the RAM to 1 GB and put a GeForce 6500 PCI-E in it. I'm also curious how likely is it other components are fried? We had it plugged into a surge protector, so I'm kind of surprised it's fried.

Any help would be appreciated. I can provide more details if needed.

Thanks.

:thumbsup:

Edited by dirbmoz, 27 March 2009 - 07:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:45 AM

Have you tried manually resetting the power supply On/Off switch on the outside of the case?

If connected to a surge protector/power strip with a reset button...have you tried that?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 March 2009 - 08:47 AM.

#3 ktseymour

ktseymour

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

A little more info: Most surge protectors are only good for one or maybe three good surges before they are useless. The better surge protectors have indicator lights to tell you if they are still active. Also, most surge protectors don't do squat for brown outs, unless they specify that they have some sort of line conditioning. Most good power supplies also have some sort sag protection built in. I'm also not sure how long you've had this machine, but apparently, a couple of years ago Emachines had some faulty motherboards, I'd check to see if yours wasn't on that list from Emachines.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

Emachines usually have Bestec power supplies
Bestec PSU's are best known for frying the motherboard when they go out.
[Which is usually a little over a year].

The computer should have a standard ATX power supply.
Pop it open & see what kind of connections it has for the drives , SATA or IDE, & get a replacement power supply with the same connectors.
I suggest at least a 450 Watt [or higher] power supply.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 dirbmoz

dirbmoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

Have you tried manually resetting the power supply On/Off switch on the outside of the case?

If connected to a surge protector/power strip with a reset button...have you tried that?

Louis

There isn't an On/off switch on the power supply, just to change the voltage.

I've tried different surge protectors, and have since got a UPS backup for when I get it working again.

Thanks Louis

A little more info: Most surge protectors are only good for one or maybe three good surges before they are useless. The better surge protectors have indicator lights to tell you if they are still active. Also, most surge protectors don't do squat for brown outs, unless they specify that they have some sort of line conditioning. Most good power supplies also have some sort sag protection built in. I'm also not sure how long you've had this machine, but apparently, a couple of years ago Emachines had some faulty motherboards, I'd check to see if yours wasn't on that list from Emachines.

Thanks for the info, I just got a UPS backup, so hopefully this won't happen again.

I've had the machine for a couple of years, where do I find this list?

Emachines usually have Bestec power supplies
Bestec PSU's are best known for frying the motherboard when they go out.
[Which is usually a little over a year].

The computer should have a standard ATX power supply.
Pop it open & see what kind of connections it has for the drives , SATA or IDE, & get a replacement power supply with the same connectors.
I suggest at least a 450 Watt [or higher] power supply.

What is a good brand of PSU for a replacement?

Also how do I tell the difference between SATA or IDE? It's been a while since I've done anything with hardware outside of a RAM upgrade or card installation.

Thanks

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

"What is a good brand of PSU for a replacement"

Opinions vary but I'm partial to Antec, 450Watt or better.

IDE are white 4 pin connectors .

Sata are black,flat & wider.

Make sure the PSU you get has a 24 pin main [motherboard] connector !

BTW, If you replace the pwer supply & the unit won't start more then likely the motherboard was fried when the old psu died.
Only fix is to replace the motherboard.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 27 March 2009 - 08:27 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 dirbmoz

dirbmoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:17 AM

Thanks again. I will check into Antec, I just didn't want to get another crappy brand.

I found out it's IDE, so I'm going out today to try and find a PSU locally. Hoping it's not the motherboard, I don't imagine it'd be easy to find another one.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

#8 dirbmoz

dirbmoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

will this power supply work?

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:45 PM

I have used OKIA power supplies in several computers over the last several years.
To my knowledge none have failed, [except the one I killed modifying the connections on :thumbsup: ]

They aren't the best but they are acceptable for general use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users