Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Decisions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thaddy1978

thaddy1978

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:28 PM

I know this may be the wrong forum, but I am at such a loss. I stay up too late at night reading reviews and think I have decided on one and then read other reviews and get scared off and take forever actually buying. I was just hoping I could get some help...as I am 'upgrading' to a new laptop. Here's what I need

Not a heavy one
Prefer XP already installed
over 100 gig HD
Good-to-great battery life
fairly good graphics (I don't play much beyond Call of duty--I generally use it -the laptop for work)
1-2 Gig of RAM
Durable, as I take it to work and also have two very little ones at home
Under $750
Good warranty
Comfortable

I have been looking at the Lenovo's --SL300, SL400, T61. Help me!!! What do you all think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

Finding XP machines is getting more and more difficult, you may need to compromise there if you want to broaden your choices. Besides, many XP machines are of older models with lower system specifications, such as the ones you have listed. If you're going to be playing games or doing anything that might need a little extra graphical power, the second Acer is a better choice given that it has a dedicated GPU. Or, you can wait a few more months for Windows 7 and get one of those laptops.

Acer Aspire AS5735-6694 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6400(2.00GHz) - Excellent price for what you get.
HP Pavilion dv6-1030us NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6400(2.00GHz) - Has a larger screen than the Acer, but roughly the same specs with the exception of the amount of RAM you can upgrade to, which is 8GB.
Acer Aspire AS6930-6942 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6400(2.00GHz) - An upgraded version of the previous Acer that has a dedicated graphics card for increased performance.
SONY VAIO NS Series VGN-NS215N - I think Sony is a little overpriced for what you get hardware wise, but some people like them. This one does have a slightly faster CPU, but less RAM than the others.

Edited by DJBPace07, 27 March 2009 - 11:17 PM.

3939.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:11 AM

I would recomend the HP in that list, ACER laptops have cooling issues. They use low quality CPU fans and the ball bearings in them arnt always greased properly which can lead to a major overheat over time.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

Not all Acer laptops have this issue, it is largely hit-or-miss.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users