Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Connie

Connie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:46 PM

I just had a laptop given to me [used] when I try to write something a number comes up instead of a letter.[ these numbers are also on the keys] I have tried no.lock and unlock and that won't work. Does anyone have any ideas? I am really stupied about computers, I hope this isn't a stupied question. Thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Futs

Futs

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:53 AM

So this happens even though the num lock is off or on?
if so does the light (for num-lock) atleast change state?
Posted Image

#3 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:03 PM

A lot of laptops require that you hold down an 'ALT' key in combination with the 'Num Lock' and others. The tip off is if the NUM LOCK and ALT are written in a different color; typically blue instead of the normal white.

Anyways, I suspect all that has happened is the laptop boots up with NUM LOCK enabled; very annoying. Once you solve the Alt+Num Lock puzzle all should be well.

(PS - I wrote this yesterday in reply to your first post on this topic... since you wrote a new post after that I figured you may have forgotten about your first thread. And the recognition that the number is on the key along with the letter is a very good sign that this is the trick you want to learn.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users