Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings to all

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 logikal1

logikal1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:40 PM

As requested a quick word about who I am: frustrated.

I wish I were kidding but that one word pretty much sums up my experience with computers. I know more about computers than most people & less then I need. I got my first computer in 1989 which cost me $1200, was custom-built for me by a colleague and with state of the art having 40 megs of hard drive, 1 5 1/2 inch drive (floppy, of course) and to A drives. It's hard to believe that I could do as much computing then almost as I do now simply because I didn't spend most of my time trying to fix the blasted thing.

I have a number of degrees... 98.7, 97.6, 99.2... and some college degrees to boot. I don't buy the latest & greatest in computers merely because as we all know you know sooner get to the register and it's obsolete. I'm using XP because I've heard nothing good about Vista except the graphics. Thank heavens I don't do filesharing considering that they've been posting hysterical warnings how anybody who does any filesharing whatsoever and who also does any banking, keeps passwords, lists of friends or their shoe size on that same computer now has that information in Nigeria, Poland, Hungary and every other place in the world with a computer. My question is why is it they have such an easy time finding my information when I don't? I'm smart enough to keep my financial information on a separate computer from the one I surf the web with.

I'm capable of doing practically anything: I can set a broken leg, plant a garden, re-Plumb the house, perform basic carpentry, some finish carpentry, basic electrical, sewing, cooking, & I sing to concert level. My biggest weakness is I can't do trigonometry. While not wealthy, I'm financially secure because my spouse and I live totally debt-free and have done so for 34 years. [It's interesting that the same people who mocked us for being cheap (because we wouldn't go out and buy a plasma television & anything that leaves our house is only fit for scrap) and that only boring people had zero balances on their credit cards are the same ones now who are crying over the economy. I empathize but I do not sympathize.]

I love animals but not to the point where I don't think they shouldn't shoot the excess deer and use them for the homeless shelters. Especially the ones that insist on standing in front of cars when they're going 55 miles an hour. I don't drink, gamble, smoke or do drugs. At least not illegal ones.

I believe the biggest oxymoron is 'common sense'... because good sense is not common. My nickname is Cassandra based on the Greek myth of the person who was cursed by the gods to always know what was going to happen and never be believed. [font="Comic Sans MS"]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 logikal1

logikal1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:29 PM

I thought I might add my compliments to Bleepingcomputer for helping me fix a persistent problem that Dell's (nonenglishspeakingandtotallyuseless) Level1 tech support couldn't manage, nor could several other tech help sites. I've been fighting a nasty problem with a scrambled keyboard - which worked (sort of) in Office [the keyboard typed from right to left, but hey, it was the right keys]. the only two ways i had to use my computer was a) keep a card with the revised keyboard handy and hunt-peck the letters and :thumbsup: use Dragonspeak to enter everything.

After going thru 16 pages of forums I found one that fit my problem. though I'd already tried revising my regional language settings, I didn't think to do a triple-switch. neat solution and, yes, I'm typing in this entire compliment a fully functional keyboard.

YEAH!

THANK YOU to BC.com! I will share you with my friends and family fer surely.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:56 AM

The more things we want our computer to do, the more complex it becomes, and with complexity comes problems. I am happy to read that BC has helped you and the frustration level has decreased. Don't hesitate to post about any problem you are having; this friendly user community is more than ready to help.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users