Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Enclosures?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:03 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know a good External Hard Drive Enclosure that last more than a few months and that would include allowing the hard drive to rest when not working.

I have been using a:

AMS VENUS DS-2316B2BK 3.5" USB 2.0 Black External Enclosure - Retail

that I purchased but it hasn't been working for quit a while now. All information transfer is at a snails pace, hours or a day instead of minutes. It also doesn't allow the hard drive to rest when not working.

The suggestion that I've been given is to use a new cable.

I've done this the first time data transfer came to a stand still and that seemed to correct it for a while.

Sense it stopped performing this last time I've tried using a new cable again but with no success, data transfer is still at a snails pace.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong with it and how to correct it would also be appreciated.

Other wise, I'm looking for a replacement that will work better than the one I have.

If you know of an enclosure that includes the hard drive resting when not working that would even be better.

Thank you,

John
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:55 AM

IMO :thumbsup:...data transfers...via USB external drives...are considerably slower than such when performed on drives either directly connected to the motherboard or connected directly to a PCI controller card.

If you have space available, I would suggest just adding an internal drive. The drive inside that enclosure would do.

If you go the controller route, I suggest getting a controller that supports SATA hard drives...which transfer data (significantly) faster than PATA/IDE drives, IMO.

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

That's the one I use without any problems

If you know of an enclosure that includes the hard drive resting when not working that would even be better.

It has an on/off switch. Don't you use it?
Can't rest it any better than that
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:42 PM

Yup, that's what the switch is for. I haven't run across a USB enclosure that spins down the drive.

That enclosure has the Cypress chipset, which is the one to have. Is it still under warranty?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 jwhit

jwhit

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:26 PM

I have an icydock sata to to 1394/USB which can handle up to a 1TB drive (I'm using a 750G at the moment) Drives are hotswappable without taking it apart and it does spin down, but also has an on/off switch. It's fanless but does not get hot. I burn DVDs from it so info transfer is quite fast. I also have a 500G Freeagent pro USB which does a great job as a backup (disc imaging) drive and it also spins down.

#6 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

I am just a few weeks after the warranty.

However, Neweeg is willing to except exchange but only if I have the original packing. AMS the manufacturer requires this.

I do not have the original packaging. I've contacted AMS, they have not responded to any of my inquiries.

The Enclosure HD is not even recognized by Vista, XP recognized the HD but data transfer is at a dead snails pace.

I'm now also looking for a PCI card that will allow me to internalize the IDE in my SATA PC.

jwhit, your:

I have an icydock sata to to 1394/USB which can handle up to a 1TB drive (I'm using a 750G at the moment) Drives are hotswappable without taking it apart and it does spin down, but also has an on/off switch.

sounds interesting, but does it handle an IDE drive?

I also have a 500G Freeagent pro USB which does a great job as a backup (disc imaging) drive and it also spins down.

This is more what I'm looking for, something for backups. :thumbsup: I have an IDE 500 GB, would it handle it?

John
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users