Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To restart and clean out laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yoori

yoori

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

Hi,
Last month my mothers laptop was badly infected with viruses where I couldn't log in to her desktop and it would automatically kick me off, with and without using safemode. Even with help from DaChew, somehow all the things we tried to resolve ended up not working for me. So I decided to use one of the boot-rescue cds to save and transfer files to another clean computer. Now I would like to wipe out the laptop clean and start over again, therefore I need guidance to do that, because I have no clue what to do.

The laptop is
HP Pavilion dv4000 | dv4307cl

I'm not sure what else info I need to put
If you need more description of the laptop, please tell what/where I need to look for it
so I can add them in.

Thank you for your time.

-Yoori

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bouken Red

Bouken Red

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

Hi you have a good laptop.

Make sure that your files are already back up

First you need is the disc for Windows or the recovery disc
If you have the windows OS disc make sure that you have the Product Key

Also Drivers and Utilities disc

Note: Also if you are using a laptop please remove the battery and just use the power adapter since the more you charge the battery even though its fully charged it will cause the battery to weak.

Hope this will help you
Bouken Red

#3 yoori

yoori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:21 PM

Hi,
Is there another way to do recovery on the laptop? I can't find the recovery cd :thumbsup:

#4 K-Pock

K-Pock

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:34 PM

Usually when you first boot the laptop and it shows the HP logo, it will show a couple options briefly, typically something like F2 = Enter Setup and F10 = System Recovery. See if you have an option for System Recovery. If so, that's what you're looking for!

#5 yoori

yoori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:49 AM

Yeah, but what do I do after I hit the F10 button
I don't know where to start or what to do.
That's why I need someone to guide me through.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:34 AM

If you want to wipe out as in reformat you definitely are going to need a CD, recovery or XP-install. There is no way to reformat and reinstall XP without one of these disks, unless you want to go Linux. If you have the license key from XP, you can try to borrow a CD, but you have to make sure that the license key is for the same product as the install-CD (if your license is for XP Pro SP1, you have to use a CD with XP pro SP1).

Good luck

Edited by elise025, 27 March 2009 - 02:35 AM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:20 AM

Just to clarify...there is a way to reinstall/restore the system to factory defaults...in those cases where the system manufacturer utilized a recovery/restore partition, in lieu of creating restore/recovery CDs.

But it appears to me that disks apply on this system and they are available from HP, http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...ortTaskId=22918

As for not knowing what to do...you can try reading your owner's manual for such situations...or browsing the HP website.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users