Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Someone? Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xCompaqHelpx

xCompaqHelpx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

Okay I'm not very computer savvy so I apologize in advance if I seem a bit slow. Here is my problem however. I have a Compaq Presario 5423 Desktop PC that I received from a friend a bout a year and a half ago. I added a second hard drive, and used it for about a year. After a year I got a laptop so I stored my desktop in the bottom of my closet. It's been there for around 6 months. Well yesterday I took it out to hook it up, I was going to give it to my father, but it no longer works! I took the cover off the case, and heres what happens.

When it turns on, everything appears to be booting up as it should. The processor fan kicks on, the hard drives start up, the disk drives will open and close, the keyboard lights come on for that brief 2 seconds, the monitor goes from standby mode to power on mode, and then thats it. Nothing more happens. Nothing load on the screen, nothing at all.

I've been trying to get help from so many people, I've tried the following list of actions:

Removed the CMOS battery for 12 hours to reset it
I moved the jumper on the CMOS to reset it
I have completely unhooked everything and rehooked it up including taking the motherboard out of the case
Checked all connections, and reseated all cards, ram, etc

I am so clueless as to what is wrong and how to fix it, someone please please please tell me what to do, and I pray at the same time it's an easy fix.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

Hi

If the PC was working ok and has stopped since it was left in a cupboard for 6 months it could be the CMOS battery.
These batteries are lithium cells and are not rechargeable.
I'd start by renewing it. They are cheap and freely available.
Steve

#3 jwobrien

jwobrien

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:47 AM

Hello,

I'm just an old do it yourselfer myself, but it sounds like the CMOS battery died. That should get you out of one fix, but now you hve to redo set up and so. It may be a cheap fix, but not such any easy one. But surely one you'll not soon forget.

Good Luck,

Jim

#4 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:07 AM

THERE IS SOMETHING PROBLEM IN CONNECTION OF COMPUTER. DID YOU HEAR A SINGLE BEEP WHILE COMPUTER TURN ON? IF YES THAT MEANS YOU COMPUTER IS WORKING FINE , THE PROBLEM IS IN MONITOR , MAY BE SOME LOOSE CONNECTION ,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users