Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Connect Two Computers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 luckyducks

luckyducks

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

We have two PCs and one laptop up and running and this is the second time in a month that I've had to find solutions for fixing a virus infected computer. This latest virus I have is the google search results forwarding to ads with no ability to scan the infected computer (no anti-virus programs will open or run). This second one I have is worse than the first though, there's no tdsserv to be found (to disable in the device manager) and I cannot run any anti-virus scan or fix through a usb stick like I did the last time. Nothing works.

So here's what I want to do:

Connect the laptop (that's infected) to a healthy computer, and use an anti-virus program on the healthy computer to scan the hard drive of the laptop and fix the virus/trojan.

Since this is the second time in a short while I'm having to deal with this headache, I'm thinking of using an old computer, setting that up to be strictly a virus scan/fix station that I can hook up any problem computer to and run scans & fixes that way.

Is this possible? I'm not a very tech-talented person, so I hope this isn't too complicated?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 danr

danr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

If you can retrieve any data you want/need off it first I'd do so and reinstall the os on a newly created partition once the original one has been removed, either with the restore partition or the disk/disk set.

You could use a simple crossover cable to do what you want but may end up with two infected computers.

If you're running the computer under an administrator account all the time you'd have less trouble with junk getting in if you'd use a limited access account when you are on line.

Myself I don't consider a computer really "clean" once it catches something until the partition has been removed, formatted and the os reinstalled freash. Regardless of what a av program may claim, but that's probably just me! lol

Edited by danr, 26 March 2009 - 05:55 PM.

#3 chyrl

chyrl

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:16 AM

Connecting two Laptop for virus scanning purposes?
A big no-no for me. Viruses nowadays are much powerful, especially when dealing with .inf file and .exe files - specifically, Win.32 Worms. Also, you're scan won't be a 100% successful, thou checking the "allow changes option" will kill also visible threats by your healthy laptop.

If you can retrieve any data you want/need off it first I'd do so and reinstall the os on a newly created partition once the original one has been removed, either with the restore partition or the disk/disk set.

Restoring your disk won't kill the virus. Viruses do damage the Boot Log, making it impossible to detect or remove the virus upon reaching the Log-in Screen.

I prefer doing this procedure upon dealing with this matter.
-> Download a linear virus scanner named "ClamWin" on your infected computer. Extract the file in your 'desktop' and update the scanner.
-> If the ClamWin won't update, update the scanner in your healthy computer and download it with the use of any mass storage drive.

-> Reset computer, upon boot screen, Hold 'F8' and select "Safe Mode"
- Run ClamWin on desktop.
-> Go to Preference and select on "Remove Only"
-> Scan your Memory
-> Then Scan your drives.

This procedure will consume time. But if you on conserving your setting, to the steps.
And lastly. Download TuneUp Utilities 2009. Run TuneUp Defragment Disk, Registry Checker, and Disk Doctor and One-Click Maintenance.

And that would fix all your problem.

Reformatting or using your OS installation disk for repairs is a last resort for me.
Data is everywhere to find. So as every byte means a lot to the society.

#4 Zervic

Zervic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:03 AM

We have two PCs and one laptop up and running and this is the second time in a month that I've had to find solutions for fixing a virus infected computer. This latest virus I have is the google search results forwarding to ads with no ability to scan the infected computer (no anti-virus programs will open or run). This second one I have is worse than the first though, there's no tdsserv to be found (to disable in the device manager) and I cannot run any anti-virus scan or fix through a usb stick like I did the last time. Nothing works.

So here's what I want to do:

Connect the laptop (that's infected) to a healthy computer, and use an anti-virus program on the healthy computer to scan the hard drive of the laptop and fix the virus/trojan.

Since this is the second time in a short while I'm having to deal with this headache, I'm thinking of using an old computer, setting that up to be strictly a virus scan/fix station that I can hook up any problem computer to and run scans & fixes that way.

Is this possible? I'm not a very tech-talented person, so I hope this isn't too complicated?

Yes it is possible, but there are a couple things to consider. Firstly, you won't want to have this computer hooked up to the network if you're using it as a scan machine, you will want it to be stand-alone. And thus, how are you going to get the most recent virus updates? I have to do this at work, as the DoD doesn't want us scanning on computers that are on our networks, logically and obviously. We have to scan every external hard drive, cd, etc. that comes into the building for virus'. So, I set up a stand-alone computer. For the virus updates, I have to burn a CD and transfer like that, at work, no problem, for home, could get expensive in the long run.

Now, as said by two previous individuals, you may end up with 2 infected computers. But, this is how you would do it:

You need a crossover cable, if you are unsure of what that is, google is your friend. Or to save you the time it looks like this:

http://www.connectworld.net/connectors/568A-568B.gif

You can see that on one side 1/2 go to 3/6 on the other side. So, essentially, the greens and the oranges are switched.

Okay, once you get the two computers hooked up with the crossover, you're going to want to set static IP's.

On one computer,

IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

On the other,

IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

Then all should work well as you want it to. Keep in mind, you're going to need to share out the drive of the computer you're scanning... or you could just type start >> run and type "\\computer-name\c$" without the quotes (do this on the scan computer)...hope this helps.... :thumbsup:[/font]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users