Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple BSOD's Please help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 snobanker

snobanker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

Hi I am new to this site but I see a lot of helpful posts so i thought I'd try this. I have been getting a ton of BSOD's mostly that say IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I had one that was "A Wait Operation, Attach Process or Yield Was Attempted from a DPD Routine"

Background on machine:
I built it myself. I have built several desktops over the years with no real problems but this build is driving me nuts. It is intended to process and store photos only and is for my old hobby new photography business. I built this in Dec 08 and have been plagued by BSOD's. I never realized it but it never finished any memory dumps or made any minidumps or anything. The more I read I realized what was happening was incomplete. By chance while on a site for my MB I discovered I had my SATA drives incorrectly hooked up on the board and they were out of order. Once I fixed this the machine sped up was less "jumpy" and "laggy". It also started finishing the BSOD memory dumps and started making minidumps.

Before that fix it would BSOD while just sitting there turned on with me doing nothing. Since the drive fix it will run for days with no BSOD's (as long as I'm not using it). It seems to happen when I am online with IE7, but it also does it when i'm in Photoshop or Lightroom. I avoid doing any photoprocessing right now due to the errors but do spend time online trying to find fixes so i think its a coincedence.

I have run memtest86 for days on end with no errors. I have replaced all system files off the winxp disc, replaced/updated drivers for everything I can find. I have downloaded and run a disc diag tool specific for my HD's...all good. I have an updated and often run virus scanner/firewall (Tren-Micro IS2009). Bios was updated. Still BSOD'ing

MB- Gigabyte GA-EP45_UD3P
CPU- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Ram-2ea sticks 2G Kingston Hypex DDR2 SDRAM PC2 6400
Graphics card- SAPPHIRE (ATI) 100236L Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit

HD's-Primary is partitioned 500 GB (24 GB/remaining) , 80 GB (photoshop scratch), external 1 TB ( dual drive raid) All are SATA
OS- WinXP 32bit
Power supply is 450W
I run dual Viewsonic VA2026w monitors.

I have a new 650W PS on hand as well as a new EVGA GeForce 9400 GT graphics card

Some background on the OS. It was installed using a disc that came with my Dell laptop that I later upgraded to Vista. I was told this was OK to use since I bought it and it was only on this machine. Is there anything about it being "Dell" that could be a problem?

I've attatched the minidumps it has generated since it started doing it.

I'm not sure what other info to put right now, but any and all help is appreciated in advance.

Stan A

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

<<I was told this was OK to use since I bought it and it was only on this machine.>>

The license for that installation...was for a Dell laptop. When that system died, disappeared, etc...so did your right to use that disk for any Windows install. Have you read the agreement you established with Dell? Have you read the agreement covering the use of that CD?

Not that it really matters...but I've been told a number of things by various persons in my lifetime...which happened to have no basis in reality. To assert such as an explanation for what appears to be an illegal install...is not credible.

That's how I see it.

Louis

#3 snobanker

snobanker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

Louis,

I totally agree. I also just discovered by contacting MS that i was able to do what i did "but" I needed to pay a relicense fee. I tried to find my old Dell documentation but apparently I trashed it. Anyway to rectify i decided to install Vista.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

Hmmm...I may be misunderstand (not the first/last time) but...it seems to me that you now have the same problem with your Vista license.

You have one license to operate a MS product...but you have it installed on 2 systems.

Please correct me if I am once again being stupid :thumbsup:, I've never thought that my view of life was infallible.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users