Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen on laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LindaIHN

LindaIHN

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

I was away from my computer for a couple of hours and when I came back, instead of my screen saver running, my screen was black. I started moving the mouse and nothing happened. I moved it for about ten minutes off and on and finally decided to shut down. When I pushed on the button to manually shut down, a screen came up asking if I wanted to switch users and it said "Linda locked" but when I clicked on my user icon, everything opened for me and is fine. Is this being caused by something in my settings?

Linda
Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge,
But he who hates correction is stupid.
Proverbs 12:1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

Hi

I was away from my computer for a couple of hours and when I came back, instead of my screen saver running, my screen was black.
.............................Is this being caused by something in my settings?

Yes, your laptop is going into sleep or standby mode.
To change the settings, go into Settings>Control Panel>Power Options
Steve

#3 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:21 PM

Hi

I was away from my computer for a couple of hours and when I came back, instead of my screen saver running, my screen was black.
.............................Is this being caused by something in my settings?

Yes, your laptop is going into sleep or standby mode.
To change the settings, go into Settings>Control Panel>Power Options

Thank you, but what do I do next? I had already gone to the power options but it only shows four options and I don't know which one I should have on. However, if all I have to do is hold down the power button to get my screen back and it's better for the computer, I could leave it as is.

Linda

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:21 PM

If this happens, try tapping the Power button. A short press will do it, a longer one will cause the computer to reboot (and display the message that you got).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 LindaIHN

LindaIHN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

Thank you, John. :huh:

#6 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:28 AM

Hi Linda

I'm assuming that your laptop is fairly new and will have Vista on it.
To adjust the power options in Vista, follow this link to see an article which explains it.
http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vista...a_hibernate.htm
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users